Job Hunting Lessons from Panic in the Year Zero

Yesterday I went to the gym. That, in and of itself, is almost apocalyptic in significance, as I never go to the gym. Nevertheless, I am forcing myself to go, at least for the remainder of my period of unemployment, because I need to feel like I am accomplishing something and because I really do not have any more excuses not to go. We have the membership and I have the time so excuses at this point will ring very hollow (at least until I start getting some interviews).

While I was at the gym, I watched Panic in the Year Zero, a cold war film starring Ray Milland and Frankie Avalon that I have always enjoyed. In the film, Milland and his family are on a fishing trip when most major Americ

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Personal Finance, Work and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Job Hunting Lessons from Panic in the Year Zero

1. Ann says:

Think positive! See yourself landing the perfect job, but don’t worry about the “how’s” just do the things that you’ve listed and stay positive.

By the way, David, maybe your perfect job is writing. ;-)

2. persephone says:

Excellent advice for people with or without jobs!

3. baselle says:

Maintain your sleep schedule! Wake up when other people wake up, go to sleep when other people go to sleep. Its a very, very, rare late night infomercial that won’t prey upon your fears

4. Richby30RetireBy40 Blog says:

The wardrobe really is key. You want to look like you belong, even if you don’t.

Otherwise, there’s no better than to explore the world in this economy!

Rgds,

RB

5. wandaa says:

Thanks! Great advice.

6. spicoli says:

Treating every day like a work day is the most important of all — your new job is finding a job!

7. sahil says:

Job hunting is the most difficult task esp. in current scenario. Hope u get it soon. The best part about your article is that it is geniric; u reffered a movie ” Panic in the year zero” to make a correlation with ur existing scenario but i feel its applicable to our day to day life.
    Great article indeed.

8. Cindy M says:

Sounds like you’re handling things well. Have to laugh, I watched the same movie recently very early one morning on the “This” channel when I could not sleep and found it interesting.

I was out of work for one month this year, but it felt like much longer. I’ve always been a second shifter, work from home as a medical transcriber, and I reluctantly left my former company due to the terrible pay cut (continued offshoring to India) and the realization I had to try to find a better company since I’m nowhere near retirement. (Long story short, I did just that and have been with my new smaller company for 2 months now, hoping this one won’t go the same offshoring route anytime soon). I didn’t have to worry so much about looking good for job interviews, that is one plus for being able to work from home; you do phone interviews and test on line. But I studied all the classifieds and would have been prepared to show up looking sharp had I found a transcription/secretarial job locally at a doctor’s office or hospital. I live within walking distance of a hospital but there are so few postings there these days related to what I do.

Anyway, of course, being out of work was a very stressful time mentally. I had gotten away from taking my hour walk every morning, so I immediately reinstituted that, knowing from experience that physical activity outdoors of any kind is a good thing, rain or shine. I’d then come home and work on sending more resumes out and keeping track of that; it can be very daunting and hard on the ego. You find out quickly that having 30-odd years of experience sure won’t necessarily get you even a sorry-we-can’t-use-you-right-now email response, but it’s a good lesson. I made myself keep a routine schedule daily. I made myself cook great healthy meals. I got back into reading and hitting the library instead of sitting in front of the TV or PC for entertainment. I sought out other transcribers going through the same thing and have met some great people this way, and we do keep in touch and compare notes. I went to bed at a decent hour. I did more with the kinfolk, in particular the grandnephews, and took mom to visit with some relatives she’d not seen in awhile. I can look back now and say it was actually a pretty nice break from the job but really don’t think I want to have to go through that again, though it certainly could happen. I doubt I’ll ever feel secure again in my work.

9. Gail says:

I’m out of work due to health, not the economy and where many days it would seem so much simpler to stay huddled in my jammies for the day, unless I’m absolutely not up to it, I get up and get dressed everyday. Even though I’m home, I usually am wearing a skirt and top that matches and even occasionally jewelry. Why? Because I need to keep my self-image up. I have things that I do everyday to feel like I’m contributing to society and to our home. All for the same reasons you described. No matter why your routine gets an abrupt change, get yourself onto an active routine.