Home Office Equipment That Will Save Money

Yesterday I received an education in the importance of office equipment, even for the home. My day began rather quietly. I had accepted that new employment listings would be quiet due to the Independence Day Weekend, so I sat down at my desk with every intention of doing some writing. Before opening Word, however, I turned to my e-mail as I always do and found an interesting note from the American Automobile Association.

It seems that AAA is now offering free office services including photocopying, fax services and notarial services. Good deals, it’s true, but not services that I thought I would ever really need. More to the point, the AAA office nearby, is not all that nearby, an

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money, Work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Home Office Equipment That Will Save Money

1. whitestripe says:

you can get printers that are also scanners – so you have two machines in one that are both essential.

a USB, even if it’s only 2gb.

2. Ann says:

I have an all-in-one. I can fax, scan, copy, print and transfer digital photos to my computer. Handiest thing on earth!

I’ve owned a shredder since Adam was a pup and shred a LOT. I also used a service to cancel a bunch of catalogs, so I went from a big yardwaste bag of shredded paper every two weeks to one about every other month…. thank goodness!

Couldn’t live without my computer and really good security software, including offsite backup!

With getting my website set up, I’m loving the postal service and flat rate shipping… and priority mail for stuff that won’t fit in a flat rate box… and a digital scale. LOL

3. Ashley says:

I would actually nix the fax machine idea. Scanners will do the same job at a higher resolution and quality than you can get with a fax machine, plus is more ueseful in other ways. In the past few years, I have never encountered someone who would only take a fax and not an emailed scan. Plus they aren’t that expensive, I have a good quality scanner/printer (and thus copier) that I got for under $200 at Best Buy.

4. helpmefriend says:

Why didn’t you take up AAA’s offer for free faxes?

5. whitestripe says:

@helpmefriend: they said AAA were not nearby

6. spicoli says:

Couldn’t your son have just brought the documentation with him?

7. Gail says:

I bought a new scanner almost 10 years ago for $25! It is still going strong after at least 10,000 scans that we have to do for our pattern selling business. Having it in the house is great for other things like last weekend wanting to enlarge an applique pattern, my hubby used the scanner and his software and in no time I had my project ready to go. To have gone somewhere where I would have had to pay to get this done and it would have been a 40+ mile round trip. When our last printer died (right before the warranty expired) we got a NEW lazer printer, copier, scanner, fax all in one and ended up with money back as the broken printer had initially coast more and this one as this one was an older model going out on clearance. We have rarely had to use the fax component, the copier comes in handy especially when having to make documents to send in the mail and the printer works like a charm. Due to the flat bed scanner I already mentioned we don’t scan with it. But the thing is, how many times do you see people still shoving quarters in copy machines? A simple printer and a cheap flat bed scanner can save you lots of time and mileage and will pay for itself in time.

8. persephone says:

I resisted buying a computer for years and I realize now that I should have had one all along. The money I save by being able to shop online and take advantage of great bargains that I would not get in a store has more than paid for my laptop.