20 Great Places to Find Coins

places to find coins

I like to walk and when I walk, I am always on the lookout for coins. I don’t really consciously do this — it has become a habit over the years. What I do know is that most years I add over $100 to my savings (you would need to keep over $10,000 in your local bank to earn the same amount in interest) simply by keeping my eyes open and knowing where to look.

Here’s the funny thing about finding coins. If you are doing this to try and make extra money, it’s not likely to work. While it may be hard to understand, finding coins really isn’t about the money although it never hurts to add what you do find to your savings. I have had a lot of friends in the past that

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Frugal, Making Money, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to 20 Great Places to Find Coins

1. Max Lam says:

A long time ago, when I was at school, I was just looking around on the floor, and I saw something green on the floor, I thought it was just trash, but then when I picked it up, it was 2 $20 bills! And it was the day when my school had a carnival at the night. I was so lucky! :)

2. MrGlidden says:

A single dad had just cashed his paycheck and took his kids shopping, after seeing how everything was a little too over-priced for his measly paycheck…he decided to leave. His kids were very upset because they wanted some stuff so they were crying..As he was rounding his two children up and putting them in their booster seats the envelope fell out of his pocket. He swung by McDonald’s to get the kids a Happy Meal to cheer them up, at the drive through he discovered he lost his money. The kids were crying as they didn’t understand why they could not eat. The dad rushed back to the store to search the parking lot and the store. Inside, he told an associate he had lost an envelope and if anyone turned it in, to please call him as he needed it as he planned on paying his electric bill at the City Hall that day..He was already a month late and planned on paying the bare minimum as his kids needed to eat…Needless to say. His kids had no heat or power or food. The father went hungry and starved to death as he wouldn’t let his children go hungry. His children fed on his remains for 5 days until they too died of starvation. Hope it was worth it!

3. Mike M says:

If you look around bushes and leafy greens outside stores and restaurants (especially in disneyland) You’ll find the paper. Out side some breakfast place at Disneyland I found a $100 bill. outside a place by the bay i found a 5, a 20 a couple of times walking down the street. It’s always in the bushes!

4. sergio says:

thank you thats what i always tell my boyfriend.

5. Brian says:

Good list and comments.

I also find that people drop coins in gyms, especially around benches. I suppose the coins fall out when they lie down to do the exercises. Best part is that the macho guys there don’t want to be seen picking coins back up even if they notice them. Coins also end up in the drink holders on the exercise bikes, treadmills, stair masters, etc.

6. Steven says:

Yesterday I parked near an old tree with a hole, when I looked at the hole..bingo! There was a $ 10 inside! What a lunatic put money inside a tree-hole! Just look everywhere, folks! They are everywhere! Not just coins, bank notes also! After all, there is no difference, they’re all MONEY!

7. MomofTwoPreciousGirls says:

When I was a little girl, my grandfather could not walk by a phone booth without checking for coins…and they did not drive so he walked everywhere!i picked up this habit and find money in vending machines etc all the time.

Every single time I have started a new job and moved to a new to me desk, I have found TONS of change. People leave it behind when they leave! One time there was over $200 left in the top desk drawer!

I put all change I receive and find into my girls’ piggy banks and twice a year they are full, generally $600/year that goes to their savings accounts, half each. It is this high bc we do cash envelopes but I never put the change back in the envelopes.

8. Rebecca says:

Thanks for all the great ideas! My boyfriend and I started collecting change when he was working as a bartender and was getting change by the handful in tips, now we have other great places to look, I can’t wait to get started!

9. john says:

I lived in a town where a college town was, the kids were always just tossing out jars of coins pennies mostly ! well over the year I am sure I have cashed in a $100.00 or more of pennies that most treat as trash!

10. bullshita says:

lol. Me too

11. Dan+Amanda says:

My wife and I have found the best place to find coins are at the drive thrus, seems like ppl are just to lazy to open the door and pick up their change. We found some at the yesterday in the parking lot which we were like let’s just take a look and boom .51

12. Josah Ruth says:

Im big coin collecter and have found many coins at the local swimming pool next to the concession stands.

13. michaela says:

I tried doing that at MC Donalds the other day but the lady was so rude and was like that our property so I was scared so I gave it to her

14. bob says:

I love coin hunting

15. Yahaira says:

Omg I love finding coins I use to work at McDonalds and every time in drive-thru they just left there coins there all the time on the floor or just drove off so I’d keep it and at the end of my shift i’d go by the drive thru and pick it all up from the floor I had like $5 I love getting coins people think theres no significance but it adds up I have $50 so far in coins and I just started back up a month ago. To bad im not working at mcdonalds no more it’d put a jump on saving my coins, but i dont mind pulling up to mcdonalds drive thru lol

16. Will says:

Yes, all of these spots are great. But honestly the best spot is amusement parks. If you ever take a family trip, be on the lookout. Not only will it be a fun day, but you can put a serious dent in the money you payed to get in. In total from 2 different parks I’ve found 43.72 in change!!!!