Finding Treasure

Every so often, hard work and dedication really do pay off in fabulous ways! Recently, Mary Hannaby, a 57 year old English housewife, hit the jackpot while metal detecting in a field that she had searched many times over the years. An avid treasure hunter for the past 7 years, Mrs. Hannaby found a 15th Century reliquary or pendant which depicts the Holy Trinity. It is valued at more than 250,000 British pounds (more than US$400,000) and could be worth ten times that much at auction.

Imagine the shock and the joy of digging four inches below the surface of ground that thousands of people have crossed over the centuries, and finding such a treasure. It happens every year, and it could happ

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Making Money, Personal Finance, Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Finding Treasure

1. simpleyme says:

I was shocked to find out about rules about treasure hunting in my state

2. Dawn says:

I love reading about finds – however when I find out the location it is always over in the old countries.
    Our country is must newer and though natives lived here before the colonies, we don’t give a great value to native artifacts like we should. Instead we go back the requisite 3-500years, which makes our finds slim in comparison to the multi-centuries of Europe, Middle east and beyond.

3. Leila says:

I always imagine some old man bent over his metal detector. I just can’t do it. Too embarrassing.

4. Ann says:

It really doesn’t have to involve a hunt for big bucks to be fun!

I have a friend who loves yard sales and swap meets and hole-in-the-wall “antique” stores. She decided to learn everything there is to know about one area of collectibles — hers was early pottery but it can be almost any subject. Once she knew how to recognize originals from fakes and reproductions and stuff, she focused her “hunting” for just those things at prices that indicated the people selling them didn’t know what they had. She’d buy cheap and sell for market value.

Main thing was that she had fun in the hunt, was focused and made enough spare change to pay for vacations. Treasure hunts don’t need to be for gold and diamonds; they can be for first edition books, old glass, old pottery, old silver, old furniture, tramp art, Inuit carvings, netsuke, or just about anyting that catches your interest!

5. spicoli says:

My dad used to collect old bottles that he found in abandoned trash heaps near his home. He eventually sold the bottles for a lot more than I ever could have guessed that they might be worth!

6. persephone says:

I agree completely about the antique stores. I have found many a treasure while wandering through cramped aisles and dusty shelves!