Childhood Family Games That Save Money

chess pieces

In this day and age of satellite television, home video game systems, iPods and other toys that entertain and often isolate us, it is sometimes difficult to recall that not too long ago, there was a time when there were no expensive electronic toys to keep us occupied. The older I get, the more I wax nostalgic for those days of old and, increasingly, I find myself trying to minimize my use modern distractions so that I can relax, whether that is with a good book or a game of backgammon or cribbage.

I am doing my best to involve my family in my exploration of what I consider to be 19th century pastimes. Just this past week, I have found a willing audience for three consecutive nights while

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Frugal, Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Childhood Family Games That Save Money

1. Ann says:

When my mother died, I asked my nephews and niece if there was something in particular that they wanted to remember her by. My one nephew mentioned a brainteaser puzzle that my mom had that he used to sit and play with for hours! :-) As a matter of fact, he and his brother and sister used to fight over it. LOL

Scrabble, Monopoly and card playing carried from early childhood to adulthood for all of us. Putting together a big puzzle together kept popping up intermittently. Lots of pleasant memories — like learning how to play poker literally on my grandpa’s knee, while he took his sons to the cleaners. :-)

If your budget is really tight, hit Goodwill or Salvation Army. Ours here has a whole row of board games and puzzles for just a buck or two each.

2. Tightwad says:

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES….
    We enjoyed playing “Kings in the Corner” card game, as well as “Rummy” and other card games. A deck of cards can still be found pretty cheap and I believe that the .99

3. I’ve gotten to know many of my readers over the past several months. Some, I know from past jobs or from schools I attended. Others I’ve met at http://www.ww2f.com, a World War II forum that I moderate. Often, I receive comments via e-mail instead of posted to this site. A comment I received yesterday I found to be quite wonderful and, with the author’s permission, I post it here.
    **********************
    I grew up in the northwestern section of Philadelphia, in an area called West Oak Lane. I lived on a small street not far from a main trolley route that extended from the suburbs (Cheltenham) to a major north-south subway route that led into the center of the city. Looking back, the area was probably a lower-middle to middle income neighborhood. In the 1950

4. Justin says:

These are some great ideas for families on a budget looking for entertainment. Plus, a little family time definitely never hurt anyone. Thanks for the post.

5. spicoli says:

I still play Scrabble and a lot of board games and my adult friends enjoy those games, too.

6. Meaghan says:

These are great ideas. They cost nothing but they provide wonderful family bonding time.

7. Persephone says:

I love to play board games with my family. They are also a great way to watch our kids develop. My ten year old routinely beats my husband and elder son in games of SCABBLE. That is a joy to watch!