A Life Without Debt: You Can Be Debt Free and Still Use Credit Cards

Several financial experts (most notably Dave Ramsey) preach that, if you want to become and remain debt free, you must not use credit cards. Ever. Their reasoning is that, a) it is too easy to get into the debt trap when using cards and, b) that you spend more money (around 25% more) when you use a credit card than when you use cash. Well, as a debt free person, I’ll tell you that it is entirely possible to use credit cards and remain debt free. The trick is to be disciplined and responsible.

I have used credit cards from the time I was in college and yet have never accrued any debt that I could not immediately pay off. How is this possible and why not just use cash? I choose to use c

This entry was posted in Credit Cards, Debt, Personal Finance, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A Life Without Debt: You Can Be Debt Free and Still Use Credit Cards

1. Trevor says:

I think that you are right it is wise to use a credit card as it gives you protection, enables you to pay at the end of the month and also helps improve your credit rating if you use it wisely. It is also an easy cash system to make money with cashback and rewards.

2. Julie says:

I pay my card off each month also. I use it mainly because it pays me cash back. I have gotten at least one $50 check each month that I have used the card.

3. Pepper says:

I pay everything that I can with my credit card, and you’re right, the rewards and protection are worth it.

4. CashAholic says:

If you are disciplined you can use credit cards and remain debt free. Unfortunately, I found I overspend when I use a credit card.

5. Kate says:

I would love it if I could use my credit card more often. But I can’t. Although I am disciplined enough to use it and pay it off, my husband is not. He has many great strengths and attributes, but he has an inability to stop himself from uttering the budget killing “I’ll have the money soon…” phrase. I love him and I’ve learned to deal with this by being the example and adhering to the use of cash myself. By being strong on this issue and giving up the convenience of credit cards myself, I help him–and us!

6. simpleyme says:

I am debt free and rarley use credit cards ,not because I have ever had problem with them i just do not like to get bills so i just pay as i go,I am really not going that fast ;-)

7. A Marino says:

Credit cards are a good tool for those that can use them responsibly and in the ways that you suggested.

There are those that have spending problems and credit cards are a no-no for them.

It is probably a good idea to not use credit cards for those who are climbing out of debt. It’s just too much of a temptation.

8. Marie says:

I pay my card in full every two weeks after we get a paycheck and then I dont have to worry about them changing the billing cycle. We get 3% back in Target, Home Depot or Amazon gift cards that we use to pay for diapers or home maintenance. It sure has helped with kids costs.

9. bRobert says:

Those that Dave Ramsey deals with (like myself) are not disciplined enough handle credit cards responsibly. Just like an alcoholic cannot trust themselves to just have one small drink. I just used the cc on my vacation last week, and while I am out of debt, the temptation was there to just make payments rather than pay it off in full once I got back. My cc debt was over $30k two years ago.

10. I pay my card off every month. I wish it were that easy with student loans too.

11. Nagel says:

I was advised by a friend long ago that credit card use on Internet purchases offers protection against theft and fraud, so you can dispute it later. However, that may be changing. My friend tried to purchase music gear online last month, using Chase credit card. The Chase statement issued notified him that they are disposing of responsibility on their part of any problems resulting with online purchases – so basically they are washing their hands of that consumer protection feature. Has anyone else ran into such an issue recently?

12. Jackie says:

Since I don’t practice the envelope system (or any system) when it comes to cash, I actually spend cash faster and with less accountability than I do with my credit cards. If I have $20 in my pocket, then I spend $20 – usually on fast food or fountain drinks at the gas station.

With my cc, I write each amount in my check register then recogncile it when the bill comes. This way I always know how it’s impacting my checking account, more like a debit card in how I treat it. My main cc is also a rewards card, so I use it for just about everything I can. Now my cc company has an online tool that will break your purchases down into categories over months/quarters/year and this also helps me to see where I need to cut more spending.

13. I use my credit cards to get out of debt. If i had cash and a $100 budget for food that $100 all gets spent. When i have $2.35 left in cash it gets spent on junk food or disappears for other reasons. I don’t buy junk food with the credit card so i pay all $100 to the credit card and get $2.35 closer to being debt free. These small amounts add up.

I also suggest setting up your budget with cash if credit cards have been trouble. Move the cash from one envelope to a “spent” envelope when you buy things on the card and use the cash to pay your bill.

14. justme says:

gahhh kills me to hear people cannot handle cash

I am not anti credit I just do not use it much because it is a bother for me to do so,if you just find credit convienant thats one thing but if somehow you just can’t control yourself with cash I would work on that

15. Jackie says:

Justme … lol, i agree. I do need to work on my accountability with cash but as long as I get more rewards/convenience with credit cards then I’m not too worried about it. If credit cards went away or there were significant enough rewards for cash, then i think I’d be just fine – but until I *have* to, my issues with cash are pretty small.

16. GREENBACK says:

I’ve used credit cards for years and hardly use anything else except for real small purchases like a pack of gum. You need the experience of using cash when you’re young I believe but as you get older and your financial house is in order I think using cc’s is fine. Some folks never learn how to handle money so I make these statements to those who have the discipline and self control to view that piece of plastic the same way they would dollars in their pocket.

17. Gail says:

For those wanting to use cash but get credit card rewards, many debit cards now offer rewards. You have the convenience of no bill at the end of the month, but still racking up reward points. I try to never keep more than what is needed in the checking account (which the cards are tied to) so the temptation to overspend is gone, and actually you have to be careful not to go over what is in your checking account.

18. Chetwyn says:

Thanks so much for this post. I’ve always been a cash-only supporter, but recently I’ve been grappling with whether or not to get a credit card. My job includes a fair amount of traveling and I’ve found myself with at least 5 different currencies in my wallet at some point in time. Coupled with all the coins, the option of a credit card certainly is inviting as a tool to help manage that, and to ease those theft-worries you certainly mentioned. Thanks for providing another point of view to consider!

19. Nicola Dupont says:

yes use credit cards,
    leverage debt to pay debt.
    I’m not against buying the LCD 62″ TV you paid $ 4000 and you got an item for $ 4000 dollars.

just get smart and don’t pay interest on top the price that is when you start getting in trouble, buying things and paying more in interest than the original value.

check movie maxed out will help to get an idea of the Credit Card industry