The High School Class Reunion

Oh, the joy of a high school reunion. The time when you get to see that most of your former classmates have done better than you, at least on the surface. My reunion was last week (let’s not discuss how many years it’s been) and I debated long and hard about going. Part of me said, “Go. It’ll be fun to see old friends and catch up,” and the other part (the part I really should listen to more often) said, “Stay home. You really don’t want to see how much everyone outclasses you. Your ego can’t take it.” So I went.

The thing you have to understand about my class is that, for some reason, it churned out some of the most successful people on

This entry was posted in Debt, Personal Finance, Relationships and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The High School Class Reunion

1. lizajane says:

So true. Things are not always what they seem on the surface.

2. Joan says:

A peculiarly large portion of my HS mates were real estate agents, last I knew. I presume a number of them are not doing too well just now.

3. Marie says:

I figured you only went to high school reunions if you were smarter thinner or richer than you were in high school. Since I’m the same except fatter I’m thinking I’ll pass :).

4. simpleyme says:

we did not like any of those people when we were in school and we do not like them now we do not go to our reunions, we are successfull but could care less to tell them about it

I have one friend from school I stay in contact with ,DH has 3
    we also do not care to drink and seems to be all anyone does when they get together for class events

5. M E 2 says:

I didn’t care about/know 90% of the people I went to high school with. 25 years hasn’t changed the fact one iota.

The people I knew/cared about in high school, I still know/care about. I don’t have to spend some obscene amount of money to spend time with them every “X” number of years. What a scam! @@

6. Texas Girl says:

Oh my gosh, I *SO* needed to read this today. As a huge dork in high school, I never really felt the peer pressure to spend $ I didn’t have/buy expensive clothes/hang out at the coolest country club. Somehow I’ve ended up as a grown up surrounded by much cooler friends who spend lavishly. We try to be debt-free which means driving used cars, garage sale furniture, clearance sale clothes. By all appearances you may not know it, but nothing I own came at full price. I actually bought my living room furniture from a big spender friend who lives on a golf course. Sometimes being so frugal wears me out, its embarrassing, and I SO want to go charge Louis Vuitton purse, join a country club, finance a new fancy car, etc. I’ve actually spent today dwelling on how “I can’t keep up!!” and being really depressed about it. So thanks for the reminder. I’m sure my friends, like yours, are up to their eyeballs in debt…..and we aren’t. That’s worth a lot.

7. Nikki says:

Interesting… having my 10 year class reunion this summer… Have already heard the talk about who’s doing what… Not so intimidated anymore. :) THANKS!!