How Much 10 Common Grocery Items Cost Savvy Shoppers

After following sales and coupons religiously for several months, I’ve started to get a sense of the best prices for various items.

The best way to get these prices is to use the Coupon Mom method of combining a store’s loyalty card discount with sales and coupons. However, over the last several months, it has been possible to get some of these prices without additional coupons from the Sunday paper by either cutting out a store coupon from the store’s weekly circular ad or by printing a coupon for free from Coupons.com.

I was able to get most of these prices at the major chain grocery stores that are located almost everywhere in the United States under different names:

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to How Much 10 Common Grocery Items Cost Savvy Shoppers

1. JMJ says:

The cheap chicken–do you notice more water?

My family buys a lot of beef. I notice that the cheaper cuts have a lot of water.

2. Dena says:

Don’t forget your local farmer’s market. The vegetables are always so much better and are often better priced than your grocery store. Defintely fresher. Or better yet, just grow your own. We also buy our cage free eggs from an individual for .99 a dozen. If I bought them at my local grocery store, it would be $4.00 for cage free.

3. lizajane says:

I agree with this in theory, but keep in mind prices can vary widely by region. I live in dairy country, but yet the absolute cheapest milk I’ve seen in the past 3 or 4 years here is just under $2.50 a gallon. Eggs have gone high at other times, but lately I’ve gotten them for less than $1 a dozen. Just yesterday I paid 69 cents a dozen.

4. crazyliblady says:

I usually buy frozen ground turkey instead of ground beef. At my store, it is actually cheaper than ground beef that is on sale.

As far as crackers and things like that go, if you can’t find coupons, try Dollar General store. They have some name brands, but also store brands. The store brands are around $1.00 for a box of crackers. My Dollar General store also has milk, cheese, lunch meat, and some frozen foods.

5. Meaghan says:

Going generic is usually a great way to save money. In most cases you can’t tell the difference.

6. Amy F. says:

JMJ–I’ve noticed that some chicken packages actually state the water content on the package. The cheap chicken I bought most recently says 8% water. Even factoring that in, the price is still great.

7. neece says:

breyers & many other ice creams
    are no longer a full half-gallon

pint-sizes are shrinking to 14
    ounces now, too

8. Gail says:

I haven’t seen $2 milk in years! We live in a state where the price of milk is regulated and a half gallon of 1% milk is close to $2. Knowing the usual prices certainly helps and in my case taking my adult son who has a practically photographic memory for prices grocery shopping with me helps me know where the cheapest prices are. He manages a frozen food department at our local store, so he knows all those prices and makes it easy to compare prices at other stores.

When you find yourself buying the same thing week after week. Stock up the next time you see it on sale for a 4-6 week supply and that should keep you till the next sale. Do this for all your regular purchases and soon you will find you have a stocked pantry and your grocery bill has gone down.

9. LisaSadie says:

Have you visited any salvage grocery stores. Take a look at this article I did recently.

By the way, my store also sells Breyers for $6.00 but I was able to snag it for .75. It was on a B1G1 free and I had a .75 off Q which tripled to $2.25. Buy 1 for .75.

Happy Couponing
    Lisa Sadie

10. katieyhip says:

Wow…what happened? Here you are all about combining coupons and sale prices and here http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110063/8-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-use-coupons?mod=series-a-article you are saying that people who take the time to do that kind of research should be mopping their kitchen floors instead.

11. TiffanyT says:

I agree with katieyhip, why the change of heart Amy?

12. Anonymous Reader says:

Interesting read,especially after reading the article on Yahoo titled “8 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Use Coupons” and the author is you. So which is your take. To coupon or not to coupon? Please enlighten us!