A Life Without Debt: They Can

I know someone who was recently visited by the repo man. He lost his job several months ago and hasn’t been able to find work that pays anything close to what he needs to pay his bills. He’s in pretty serious debt, having bought two cars, a house, and a lot of “stuff” that he really couldn’t afford when he was employed. Now that he is behind on his payments, everything from cars to furniture to stereo equipment is falling victim to the repo man. It won’t be long before the house goes, too, if something doesn’t change soon. It’s sad to see, but as I watched the repo guy haul away this person’s car, I couldn’t help but think of the ti

This entry was posted in Debt, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A Life Without Debt: They Can

1. Joan says:

Ah, yes, peace of mind!

2. simpleyme says:

many moons ago my neighbor had a nice couch sitting on her front porch ,I asked her about it she said it smelled like cat pee,I smalled it and it did not I asked if I could have it she said she would trade for my couch mine was puke green got from DH grandma
    so we traded as i hauled it off her husband said good lord we still owe money on that couch!
    It was a nice couch I used it for 10 years ;-)
    I too like the fact that everything I have is mine

3. Natural says:

i’m debt free too, although i don’t own a home. i was just in a fender bender and pondering a new car, a new used car or just repairing my 14 year old car.

guess what i’m repairing my 14 year old car and it shouldn’t cost more than 600$ to do so, paint job and all.

there is nothing like being debt free.

4. Heibi says:

I own everything too, except a small mortgage on my house. However, even when the house is completely paid off, I won’t consider it entirely owned by me and my husband, due to the heavy property taxes on it. It is in a city. Sometimes I think about when I shared rent on an apartment after graduating that I paid less on rent than I do on property taxes on my house now…a rather depressing thought, but of course enjoy much more space in the house than the apartment. :)

5. Neil says:

Hi

I’ve been through the debt mill and am now out the other side. I still have a mortgage on my house but nothing else is financed. It is, as you say, a very relaxing feeling.

I now require a big push to get my mortgage down to a reasonable level!

6. Miz Pat says:

I’m getting close to settling a divorce, which will mean refinancing my house. With the equity I will owe my husband, I will be right back where I started years ago with an even larger mortgage. While this is a bummer, with a frugal life style, I feel with God’s help, I will end up owning the house.

In the interim and in preparation, I have reduced my bills substantially, paid off all my other debts, and when the divorce comes through, I’m going to cancel my two life insurance policy’s, my husband’s health plan, take my husbands’ name off the house and car insurance, and see what else I can do to cut costs.