A Life Without Debt: Freedom from FICO

One of the benefits of a life without debt is (some) freedom from the gods at FICO. Because I don’t do debt, my FICO score is not as important to me as it is to some and that takes a lot of worry out of my life. I see many people freaking out about their FICO scores because they know they will need a loan in the near future. They worry about every little thing that could ding their score. Sorry, but that’s not a worry I want in my life.

Obviously, I do have to keep tabs on my score. In a world that is ruled by that score, even the debt free have to know their scores. I don’t want to be penalized on insurance rates or denied a job because of a low score. So I check my credi

This entry was posted in Credit Cards, Debt, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A Life Without Debt: Freedom from FICO

1. Paul says:

Very well written and being debt free myself,your have done an excellent job of putting words to how I approach my “DEBT” score.

2. Brendon says:

Yes, Irrespective of you are indebted or debt-free, its better to keep a close tab on FICO. Prevention is better than cure.

3. justme says:

I have always sat back in wonderment as people try to manipulate their FICO

I have always had a great FICO , my secret I have always paid my bills

that fico crap is a sweet racket for the collection companies, and people who want to loan you money

my son somehow got a great job and great insurance rates without a Fico score ;-)

4. Molly H says:

Um, clearly you do not understand that your credit score affects your life even if you don’t have debt.

Do you have car or home insurance? Your credit score was used to set your rate. If you have crappy credit, then you are paying too much. Want to open a bank account? Banks check your fico score.

Oh, and what if you have been a victim of identity theft and there are some accounts in your name, that you never opened on your credit report? You would never know it.

So yes, you have to keep tabs on your score unless you want to pay too much for everything.

Don’t be so smug. Clearly you have a limited understanding of what FICO scores are used for.

5. Spokane Al says:

I agree on your comments concerning living debt free and FICO worry free. We have been totally debt free for over 10 years now. I equate debt to slavery in that without it, one is freed up in many ways to live life through more choice and less demands.

I am also one who rarely checks our FICO score. We have locks on our credit which causes less worry, and less to no chance for ID theft.

P.S. As a result of your post I did check our FICO score yesterday just for the heck of it. Our score is 807.

I guess we are doing something right.

6. Bobbi says:

Just imagine a world where everyone lived this type of life. Wouldn’t the table then be turned on all the insurance companies, etc? They would need us. :)

7. Pingback: The Death of FICO? - SavingAdvice.com Blog