Is Saving Money Making You Feel Deprived?

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Is Saving Money Making You Feel Deprived?

1. Human One says:

I like all your shopping tips. I do allot of research on an item before I buy and then once my mind is made up i may set on it for a few days to “let it sink in” if i am still pining for that item then ill make the purchase.

As for the splurging, don’t agree so much. It’s like a leaky faucet it’ll cost you in the end when the bill arrives. However if you have a budgeted amount, then by all means, so long as it is in the budget.

Sounds like your friends savings plan may be too tight. Mine is also incredibly restrictive, especially for the wife. But we both like to look at the savings we have in our portfolio every now and again. That makes it all seem worth it. Well, until Obama took office anyway.

If the budget is too tight and unrealistic to stick to day in and day out then it’s doomed to fail from the start.

2. Diane says:

I’ve found that staying out of stores and shopping centers works well for me. I avoid recreational shopping and save money.

When I need something I make a point of going to a store to buy it. If I go just to ‘look around’ I will end up seeing something I want, that I probably don’t really need.

Bottom line is the less I shop the less I buy.

I agree with the idea of finding something else to do with your time!

3. Maureen says:

I agree with the fact that you can go out shopping without the intent of buying. All my friends like shopping as a pasttime and despite the fact I’ve suggested other less costly activities none of them is interested. Now I go shopping with them but only pay for the bus there and back which totals

4. Sherry says:

Great tips for anyone tightening up their budget. I think your dad and I may have a lot in common. I’ve schooled myself to not impulse buy and generally research first. Usually by the time I’m done, I no longer need it or something else has caught my eye. If I do need something, I go to the store at a time I am short on time. It helps prevent browsing.

5. I don’t feel very deprived at all, but then I stay away from the stores as much as I can. I think I would feel a lot more deprived if I did more hang out in the stores more — though recent trips to the stores with family had me feeling more snarky (Pfft! who buys this crap?!) than deprived. So, maybe I really am no longer a shopaholic.

Things that have helped me have been:
    * Engaging in hobbies that don’t require a lot of money, like exercising, star-gazing, gardening, learning about local flora and fauna, etc.
    * Taking advantage of the library. (I always feel so rich when I come home with a bag of books, lol.)
    * Decluttering and Goodwilling stuff I don’t need so that I realize how much stuff I really have.
    * Learning to cook and enjoy yummy, fresh foods so that eating at home isn’t more of the same overpriced packaged crap. Plus, if I go crazy buying fresh food it’s not so bad as buying plastic junk I don’t need.
    * Spending more on the few things I really want. Now that I’m buying less, I can afford to buy better quality stuff — and it’s a great trade-off.

6. dawn says:

I disagree. If you really want to kick the shopping habit, then you need to stay away from the stores, period.

Shopping without the intent to buy will still keep you tethered to the tantalizing selection of things you “need.” You need to get rid of the mindset of continuous recreational shopping.

It’s like giving up Diet Coke. You really have to go cold turkey becus only then will you wean yourself from your sugar cravings.

7. DD says:

I totally agree with not taking your kids along. Even a simple trip to the grocery store can turn into an adventure with toddlers along for the ride.

8. Meaghan says:

Thanks for sharing the tips. This is good advice. I too find it difficult to save without the desire to splurge on something for myself. I think a time-consuming (inexpensive) hobby is a great way to distract yourself from going out to stores and spending.