Keep Busy, Save Money: Is it time to take your responsibilities more seriously?

Lately, I have been busy. Really busy. I am studying for a professional licensing exam and trying to balance 8 to 10 hours of studying per day with the responsibilities of being a good husband and father. On the whole, I am managing just fine. I hope.

That said, I don’t have any time to spend money so saving money has almost become impossible. Rather, because I am so busy, I am conserving money. The frenetic pace of my life over the past few weeks of exam preparation has taught me a few things about spending patterns. A busy person does not have time to buy things. A busy person does not have time to window shop for things he does not need. A busy person does not miss buying

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping, Work and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Keep Busy, Save Money: Is it time to take your responsibilities more seriously?

1. Ann says:

Hmmmmm. Thinking back over my parts of my life, you’re pretty much right, though there was a bit of “I’m working so hard, I deserve a reward” aspect to my life when I was working long hours.

Working in a casual clothing work environment, I tended to buy way too many clothes that I never got around to wearing to the office ’cause there weren’t enough meetings calling for dressing better. Goodwill LOVED me when I left corporate ’cause they received over 30 suits and dress with price tags still attached when I left corporate and many, many more that had only been worn once or twice!

If I’d been as conscious of spending (and space) then as I am now, I wouldn’t have wasted all that money.

I guess that what I’m trying to say is that being busy isn’t quite enough. You also have to be aware of why you’re buying — is it need, want or reward? And, if it’s reward, is it really something you’ll use or just something to satisfy an itch?

2. Caoineag says:

Nice in theory if you are a spender who spends at stores but not so useful if you are a spender who spends on food. Everytime we get extremely busy we don’t have time to cook from scratch or want that moment of relaxation that comes from letting someone else cook. I need to slow down to save money, not get busier.

3. justme says:

“work spares us from 3 evils bordom,vice and need” Voltaire

People who work have less strength to complain about menial things thats why I wish like heck that my neighbors would get jobs, they stay at home all day haten on my tree for having leaves;-)

4. Pev says:

That’s very true, when people are busy – shopping is the last thing on their minds. I’m going to send this article to my friend – she wastes a lot of time and all she ever thinks about is spending money on useless things. Maybe your article will help her to be more productive with her life.

5. Diane says:

I guess I would have to agree to most of this. Staying out of stores & malls definitely reduces spending. And being busy does keep me out of stores & malls.

That works for clothing & misc. browsing purchases. The internet is still a temptation however! And there’s always a few spare minutes to browse without getting in the car & driving somewhere.

Maybe I should stop and go clean the bathrooms!

6. Panda Bear says:

WoW…! He’s so busy and yet still finds time to blog! AMAZING!

7. David G. Mitchell says:

Blogging is actually one of my jobs. Although I readily admit that I enjoy blogging, it is still an obligation that I take seriously. You will note that one of my suggestions was to “take your job more seriously.” I do that with all of my jobs and I try to feel that I have done my best at each of them, including this one. There is nothing amazing about that, or at least there shouldn’t be. That said, when I work, I earn and I do not spend, and I like that math!

8. Ann says:

I can relate to the comment about eating out vs cooking in when you’re working long hours! LOL Occasionally, I had to put a frozen roast in a crockpot on low just to have a homecooked meal. :-) I actually managed to live off a microwave, crockpot and electric skillet very comfortably for months when I got rid of my range to have a new floor laid in the kitchen.

Being busy does help… some… but being happy with my life and what I’m doing is still the biggest influence.

9. spicoli says:

thats a good insight on saving money

10. Persephone says:

I’ve made shopping (other than for essentials) an event, not a way of life. Every few months or so, my mother and I go shopping. I look forward to those outings, outings I used to make all the time. Now that money is tighter, I appreciate just trying on new things (e.g., perfume, shoes). I usually don’t purchase much, but I enjoy the experience.

11. Rich says:

I completely agree about the benefit of being busy is a reduction in the amount of spending for my family. For example, I cannot remember a time we went to the local shopping mall and didn’t buy something. While walking to the car, I often think did we really need this? In the recent economic times, we have made it a point to not go to the mall for the simple fact of if we had the time and opportunity to walk around, I am sure we would buy something we didn’t need.

12. Lyle says:

There are two kinds of spending – necessary and discretionary. If you make yourself “busier”, discretionary spending will decrease, as you pointed out. But necessary spending will increase. This past week I had to prepare for a talk. As a result, I didn’t have time to cook and spent a lot on food. If you’re busy volunteering your time to fulfill your civic responsibility, maybe you no longer have time to mow your own lawn, so you spend more to have someone else do it. If you’re constantly busy you may feel like you need a big vacation, and spend a fortune on that. It’s all a tradeoff.

13. Gerry says:

I had to laugh at the “Take Your Job More Seriously:” paragraph. Your advice is 100% wrong. It’s the people who work the hardest who get laid off, while the schmoozers and the kissups are kept on.

14. Persephone says:

Gerry — I do not agree. Good managers keep the best workers and the best workers are in the best position to find a new job if they do get laid off.

15. Santosh says:

Great articles for all ages.Thanks