Thinking About a Second Job?

There are those who get up and get things done and those who sit and complain. If you’re a get-r-done type of person, then you’re probably considering a second job to help you through financial problems.

Sometimes things are not always as easy as they should be, such is the case with a second job. While it might seem like a no-brainer when you need extra income, a second job comes with its own set of complications. It’s important to do your research before applying for a second job.

First, you have to consider your primary job. This should be your priority, never jeopardize a good income for a secondary income. Crack open that old employee handbook and read it carefully to

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Work and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Thinking About a Second Job?

1. Michelle says:

Very well thought out article. I’ve been working two jobs for the past year and although there are times where I wish I had more time, I really enjoy the second job – a phone operator at the cab company. Currently it’s helping me pay for an uninsured root canal. :) After that’s done, it’s going to help me pay off my credit card debt.

2. Amber Jones says:

This is a great post. I know many people who have to consider taking a second job to make ends meet, and that’s ok. If you are working towards a goal, it could help you attain it faster. Just never assume something is beneath you. I’ve always enjoyed working at a fast food restaurant or even a sit down restaurant. I enjoyed the interaction with people, getting them what they needed, in a timely fashion.. it would make their day! And you could see it on their face. They were happy. :)

3. Rivver says:

Great post, especially the first point about checking with your primary employer first. I know, for example, if you’re licensed to sell insurance, workers must receive premission from owners prior to taking a second job. One of the licensing req’s state if secondary employement is obtained, you must prove it will not interfere with being an agent or broker.

Another thing to think about is taxes (at least in Canada, where I’m from). Employers are not required to deduct money from paychecks for federal taxes for PT employees and this can cause big problems come tax season!

4. Panda Bear says:

No way would I risk my life for some low-paying minimum wage crap job such as convenient store cashier or security job.
    DON’T YOU PEOPLE EVER WATCH THE NEWS?!?!
    I would go on welfare and food stamps first!!

5. fathersez says:

Great thought provoking post.
    What about MLM? Have you eliminated it as a non starter or is it a possibility, too? (You have mentioned Mary Kay / Avon, though)

Cheers

6. Getting a part time work at home job at home. I have work at home for several companies doing both inbound and outbound call center work at home.

7. Alan says:

I have a primary J-O-B, but I own a internet shopping business that “acts” like a second job, but is a true business with tax benefits.