The Financial Benefits of Giving up Alcohol

In my youth, I liked to live life well and, admittedly, to excess. My friends and I ate out often and we did not limit ourselves to salad and sparkling water. We enjoyed fine meals that we could not afford and the full range of alcoholic beverages that the world’s distilleries, wineries and breweries had to offer.

By the time I was in my early twenties, I had gone from drinking Riunite on ice (That’s Nice!) and Schlitz with my high school friends on the beach to building a wine cellar full of bottles that I had identified in Wine Spectator magazine. The beers and ales that I enjoyed came from microbreweries and I was spending as much on a six pack as I previously had spent o

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The Financial Benefits of Giving up Alcohol

1. baselle says:

I seem to remember a creepy fact from the National Geographic about 15 years ago:

The average American male gets about 20% of his daily calories via alcohol.

For me: maybe a glass or two of wine per month. I don’t avoid it, but I don’t seek it out as part of my routine.

2. Mr. GoTo says:

That is an impressive and radical lifestyle change. Most people who give up alchohol are motivated primarily because they or a family member have alcoholism. You did it primarily for money and general health. My congratulations.

3. eden says:

While I haven’t given up alchohol per se – I very much dislike the taste of almost all alcoholic beverages so it’s practically the same.

4. Ann says:

In my youth I drank to excess more than once …. and regretted it! But I found three factors led to an extreme drop in alcohol consumption.

First, being single, I was frequently my own designated driver! In high school, I remembered two students from our school being severely mutilated because a drunk driver came over a hill in their lane and crashed into them head on. He walked away with barely scratches; their beautiful faces would never be the same. (This was before seatbelts.) I never wanted to be the cause of something like that.

Second, my ex- drank to excess. I saw what he was like when he drank and didn’t like it. I saw the toll on our limited funds and didn’t like that. I saw how he became all talk and no action and REALLY didn’t like that! When I divorced him, I found myself automatically suspicious of anyone who drank to excess in my company.

And, third, I don’t like the lack of control. I did things when I was young and drank that I’d never do when I was sober. Boy, could I be talked into things easily after a couple of drinks!

When I moved back to the midwest, I had quite a few private chuckles over my mom’s confusion when we’d go out to dinner and I wouldn’t have a cocktail before dinner. She didn’t drink to excess but grew up in an age where that was the norm. I don’t think I ever did explain why I wasn’t into that! LOL

Recently I noticed that I have a significant number of bottles of hard liquor that I’ve now moved twice. I decided that the next time I head back to where I used to live, I’ll be taking them with me and giving them to a friend. That will still leave me with a number of bottles of liqueurs — I was collecting them at one time — which I’ll (about 2-3 times in a winter season) sip a glass of in front of the fire, but I won’t replace them as they empty — which will probably take me the rest of my life! LOL

Saving money was just an added bonus that I discovered along the way.

It’s not the same in this day and age, but, by the end of January, I’ll have quit smoking. Money is one of my reasons and health is another, but, I admit that, if I could hold the smoking to five or less per day, I wouldn’t quit. I don’t like the cost. Not just in terms of the cigarettes themselves, but also the cleaning bills! Curtains and drapes need to be cleaned more frequently and walls repainted more frequently. I actually hate the residual smell, so air freshener costs for things that actually absorb the odor, rather than just mask it, are rather high. I know I can do it ’cause, when I needed the money to pay for the train when I started to grad school, I quit for 3 1/2 years! Won’t be easy, but this time it will be for good!

5. Sheila Joyce Gibbs says:

Smart move David !!!
    Very very smart indeed !!
    You’ve possibly saved yourself & your wife, a great deal of heartache.
    A healthy happy drinker for 30 yrs, career minded, sports active, both my late husband & I, thought we had the world in our hands.
    When suddenly we were each hit with severe permanent health affliction, with no cure & the sole cause was Alcohol.
    No….Don’t worry about your previous drinking friends, please !
    Just keep on with this change in your beautiful lives !!!
    Very very smart move !!
    God Bless you both !

6. Persephone says:

I gave up alcohol several years ago after I started exercising seriously. Money wasn’t a factor.
    After reading your article, though, I thought about how much I have saved over the years — Wow! Thanks.