Stop Adjusting the Thermostat: Why I Don’t Turn Down The Heat at Night

adjusting the thermostat

I tend to be a bit bullheaded at times. Well, maybe more than a bit, but just because everyone else is doing something doesn’t mean it’s the best thing to do. This is my opinion from my own experience and I suggest you do your own research to find out what works best for you and how your heating bill reacts to different adjustments.

Take the advice that you hear everywhere about turning down your thermostat. Many people turn down the thermostat when they leave for work or are away from home for a day. No one will be there to get cold, so why leave the heater running? It doesn’t make sense to heat an empty house. That’s where I say they’re wrong. It does make se

This entry was posted in Housing, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Utilities and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Stop Adjusting the Thermostat: Why I Don’t Turn Down The Heat at Night

1. Joyce says:

I was told by heating tech yesterday that whether I set thermoset in cold weather to 68 or 75 degrees, it would cost the same. He claims as long as I leave it to maintain my comfort level then it will work the exact same and cost the exact same on my Natural Gas bill. I never heard of such and didn’t really believe him. That is what ended me to this web site. I’ve always read and heard that in cold months keep themostat set no higher than 68, and in warmer months set thermostat to 78 degrees, and with proper installation, all things being equal your bill will be at it lowest price.

2. ames says:

Maybe thats why you are so broke. 72 damn you gotta be MADE of money to have heat that high! lol

3. Ryan says:

I really like your article, I have lived in my current home for about 12 years and its an older home, built in 1921, I have replaced all my appliances as well as my heating and Ac system. I have newer windows/doors and have insulated the spaces that I could. I learned many many years ago that it was cheaper for me to leave my heat turned up rather then play with it up and down like most say to do. Like you I leave mine on 68 at night and usually put it up to around 69 or 70 when I am home on the weekends and evenings. The lowest I turn it down to is 68, or 67 if its a little bit milder outside. I spent more money years ago when I would have it go way down at night and during the day then I do now.

Thanks again for the article, a great read

4. science says:

heating the house to 68 most certainly costs more than heating it to 60, are you serious?

5. Gralph Hendrickson says:

I wholeheartedly agree with Ryan and the OP. Don’t let these Trolls stop you from spreading the good word.

6. Kurt says:

Plus if you have an oil furnace, the starting and stopping of the furnace adds up to a lot of ELECTRICITY. Those transformers are 10000+ volts to ignite the fuel.
    Get a programmable thermostat and figure out what works for you. I personally set my thermostat to 62 degrees from 6am to 6pm, from 6pm til 9pm 70 and from 9pm to 6am to 67 degrees all week. During the day I don’t need it that warm, just as long as the pipes don’t freeze I am fine. I personally like it warmer at night and hate it when my head is cold, I find I don’t get sick like I use to turning it down low at night. Plus I hate getting up and it being cold!!!!

7. Jamaul says:

We left a house with gas heat for a house with an electric heat pump. With gas heat , it’s a no brainer. Turn it down or even off at night. It actually was a lot cheaper to warm up the house an hour before I wake up with a programmable thermostat. Now with a electric heat pump we are all confused. When we turn the heat off at night, the unit will kick into aux mode for the hour to catch up in the morning Mainely because it’s below freezing in the morning and/or it has to increase the temp. more than two degrees. The other problem is that electric heat never catches the house back up in an hour the way a gas furnace does. As a matter of fact, when it’s below freezing and you try to warm up your house more than 2 or three degrees, a heat pump will actually temporarily make your house colder. Don’t believe me , try it and watch your thermostat. It will actually drop a degree or even two while the heat is running before it starts to increase. So with a heat pump, the catch up hour sometimes takes two hours depending on how cold it is. This is all debatable but what isn’t debatable is that it cost you way more when your heat is in aux mode. One to two hours of aux mode is almost the equivalent of having it run in normal mode , on and off all night. Also if it’s been running on and off throughout the night it’s only in aux mode for short periods of time in the morning and does a better job maintaining heat. Now with that said, my wife loves it cold at night so we have actually been cutting it off at night because it’s better and cheaper to cut it off than it is to say drop it from 68 to 60 and back up to 65. The reason being is that once again the aux heat comes on to keep it at 60 for half the night and then goes crazy to get it back up to 65. So as you can see it’s really confusing, keeping it at 66 all the time seems to be better and cheaper but I’m not quite sure why. Not sure why the aux heat doesn’t come on in that situation but it doesn’t unless it’s extremely cold at night.

8. J says:

^ Listen to this guy

Too much information out there is opinion that somehow turned into fact.
    Fact: heat loss is proportional to temperature differential, your house loses more heat when the temperature is kept up at all times.