Utility Company Discounts Waiting for You

It has been unseasonably cold in Orlando for the past couple of weeks. Nights have dropped into the thirties and days have rarely made it past 75 degrees. While that may seem balmy to anyone living north of Florida, trust me when I tell you that I am not used to this kind of cold weather and I have been wearing three layers of clothing every day!

Despite the cold weather, I recently agreed with my electric utility company that it could install a shut-off switch on my water heaters and some of my other electricity eating devices so that during moments of peak energy usage, the utility can divert power away from my house. The diversions are rare and the utility promises that I will not not

This entry was posted in Housing, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Utilities and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Utility Company Discounts Waiting for You

1. Ann says:

My cousin, who lives in Florida, has taken advantage of a number of utility backed and tax rebated items. They already have windows that will sustain 180 mph winds and he’s in the process of going solar. He was telling me that, between the utility company and the feds, a $40,000 job will end up costing him $10,000, which he’ll quickly be able to recoup. He also mentioned something about water, but I can’t remember exactly what he said. LOL

I’m definitely going to be checking various things here to see what I can do, though with the snow we’re getting, I’m thinking that solar will not be an option.

2. Monkey Mama says:

Our heating will be low because we bought an Energy Star home. As such, we won’t be able to take advantage of anything (already got the all the energy saving features that came with the home).

But wanted to say, that this is a great article. I am a tax preparer and every year people come in with their receipts wanting great government rebates. Every year (well except last year) I have to tell them they don’t exist. That what they really need to do is check in with their utility company. They offer much more incentives and rebates for energy efficiency than the government.

3. Ann says:

You’re right, Monkey Mama — the feds don’t offer nearly as much as the utility companies and some states. Anyone considering “green” changes needs to thoroughly research state, fed, utility rebates, (with some things) whether or not the utility company will buy excess energy generated (not all do), future savings on expenditures, etc., etc.

Not exactly something that you can make a snap decision about!

4. fern says:

Why wait for the utility company to offer a program when you can do it yourself? Simply buy a hot water heater timer, available at Home Depot, and set the times you want oit to shut your hot water heater on or off. It works just the same as a timer on your heat thermostat. I have mine set so it only heats the water for about 3 hours a day, in the am and in the evening. I have never noticed a lack of hot water.

5. Persephone says:

I don’t like to waste water but I do love to garden. My landscape is full of gorgeous drought resistant plants, many of which I discovered while driving on the highway or in parking lots. Water is a precious resource. I wish more gardeners would choose drought resistant plants and resist the urge to overlook these garden work horses just because they are common.

6. Carl says:

I had no idea that you could get a rebate for these things. Thanks for the advice. I’m going to check with my local utility company to see if they offer something similar. I do know that if we exchange our toilets for low flow, the local water system will pay the cost for the new low flow system.