What’s Wrong With a Frugal Weekend?

I spend a lot of time outside and, if I’m inside working, my desk faces the road. As such, I know a lot about what goes on in my neighbor’s lives. (Disclaimer: I don’t spy on people, but when you’re driving back and forth in front of my house and piling your purchases in the driveway, it’s hard to miss.) The thing that always amazes me is how much money they seem to spend on the weekend. They come and go all day long, driving here and there and emptying purchases out of the back of their cars. (This goes on all year so it’s not limited to Christmas shopping, either.) In addition to the buying, I wonder how much gas money they burn with all that running aro

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Frugal, Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to What’s Wrong With a Frugal Weekend?

1. ~Dawn says:

Boy if I were you I would keep an eye on their trash though… they may be tossing some read good stuff when they tire of it.

2. Frugalchick says:

I love staying home on the weekends. It’s frugal, it’s relaxing, and it’s my way of recharging for the next week. Your neighbors must have a totally different mentality.

3. Jo says:

Apart from going to church, I try to have laid back weekends catching up on viewing the programs that have been tivoed during the week. I am comfortable with my own company so staying home is a real pleasure and charges up the batteries for the coming week.

4. Diane says:

We don’t usually spend an entire weekend at home, although that does sometimes happen. We might go out to eat once on a weekend, or out to visit friends… sometimes we have friends here and cook at home.

Since we work at home, we don’t have the opportunity to do errands during the week without making a point of going out, so some weekends we spend an afternoon running errands.

We LOVE spending casual weekend mornings having coffee, reading the paper and hanging out!

We try to keep some balance in our lives, and with working at home sometimes you just need to get out for awhile!

I think some people are running from themselves, shopping to find something to fill the holes in their lives… sad, but true.

5. mahanda says:

i love our frugal weekends
    saturday i painted a st vinny’s find, child’s rocker–while hubby worked on our deck. he is building it with free wood he has been collecting.
    sunday we do no actual work. enjoy hobbies (mine are free/trash to treasure), reading and maybe some free movies on tv. leftovers to eat whenever we feel the need.
    when monday comes we are truly renewed

6. Heidi says:

I completely agree with this. I enjoy weekends at home too.

7. Pingback: 154th Festival of Frugality

8. Pingback: » Festival #154 Is Large… Almost! on the Festival of Frugality

9. Cindy M says:

I love what I call my winter routine on weekends. Actually, I work evenings at home and my “days off” are Sunday and Monday afternoons/evenings. I usually clean house Saturdays, do laundry, wash my hair and do whatever else needs doing. Then I work my shift. I’m up early Sunday morning to put something good in the crockpot, have a leisurely breakfast, go to church and am home around 1 o’clock. It’s great walking into my home with the smell of something good to eat. I sometimes invite friends or family over for Sunday lunch but have no problem enjoying myself alone in my nice clean home on Sundays. I usually do a long afternoon walk. I learned a long time ago that it’s good to create a home for yourself and truly enjoy it. It gets dark earlier in the winter, so I light lights, read, play music. Mondays off are great, I can sleep in if I want (hardly ever do, I’m always ready to get up and move) grocery shop, run with family or friends, have a frugal lunch and movie out and socialize in the evening. Anyway, it works for me, ha-ha. Things get a bit more lively outdoors for me in spring/summer but I sure enjoy the “down” time in late fall/winter and like to savor it.

10. Imelda says:

I love staying home on the weekends but I have to work all weekends just to meet both ends.I envy you guys!!!

11. viewsfromtheloft says:

I completely understand and relate to the weekend frenzy. I’m fortunate to be able to do my errands during “off peak” hours for a number of years and on the rare occasion that I do have to fight the masses I always wonder how those folks do it! Another frugal weekend tip I’d recommend for those who HAVE TO go out is make a great meal at home and then go out afterwords for dessert. You still get the evening out but at a fraction of the price.