Do What You Know

I recently mentioned Martha, my trash-exploring next door neighbor when I was a child. Martha always found creative ways to make money, whether it was through her yard sales, plant sales or barn-based general store. She made money on her crafts and her preserves. If she touched it, she found a way to sell it. She was a pet sitter before anyone had ever heard of pet sitting and she was a nutrition consultant before Americans realized that they should care about nutrition. Whatever she did, she was paid for it.

Similarly, I have an aunt who was a bank executive. In the 1970′s, there was not a lot of upward mobility for female bank executives so, after a while, she had to choose be

This entry was posted in Making Money, Personal Finance, Work and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Do What You Know

1. Jan says:

First of all, I wish you the best in finding a “real job” that will bring you the income and personal satisfaction that you desire. I hope you will continue to write on this blog, because I have enjoyed all your articles. You definitely do have a talent for writing.

Wise advice to look at what we DO have and not at what we DON’T in any area of our lives. Good food for thought. Thank you.

2. David G. Mitchell says:

Jan — Thanks for your kind wishes! Have no fear about me leaving — I hope to stay for as long as SavingAdvice will have me!

Cheers!

3. ~Dawn says:

I think the scariest part is promoting myself to others with the ideas that I have. I hate selling and selling myself and my things to others is quadruple-y hard.

4. Ann says:

I left corporate finance to go back to my first love — sculpting and carving. Luckily, I had/have a nice cushion because my life became a typical example of “you make plans and life happens!”

I’m back toworking on getting my business set up and it doesn’t take a lot for me to live on and be happy, but, no matter what happens, I will never go back to a permanent corporate position. I am sooooo much happier and peaceful pursuing what I love! I wouldn’t trade my current life for all the riches in the world.

5. Susan says:

David, you and the other brave hearts who have the gumption to keep it real are awe-inspiring and remind me of an interesting phrase I heard at a Motivational Seminar yesterday. Dr. Robert Schuller was the first of several speakers, but his comment that “it takes guts to get out of ruts” resonates with this blog and many others. It is lonely and scary to follow the road less travelled but it is noble and well worth it even if you make several attempts. Eventually you will succeed if you keep at it. Bon Chance!

6. minny says:

Great article. The determination and skills that make someone a success in a ‘job’ can be used to be equally successful in another sphere.

7. Cindy M says:

I enjoy your articles, Dave, and wish you well. My brother is now in the same boat you’re in, and he’s actually looking forward to trying his hand at a few other things, when he figures them out, he says. He’s doing okay financially; it’s just his wife and he, she’s gainfully employed, and they do have some options. Downsizing is a big priority right now and they could actually live out of a nice little trailer they own if they have to; she’s a great money manager.

8. Pingback: Getting a Paycheck Doing Something You Love - SavingAdvice.com Blog