Martha’s in the Trash Again

I grew up in a small town to the North of Boston, Massachusetts. When I was very young, it was the epitome of a quiet New England town with hundreds of years of history. My family lived next door to Martha and Dick T., a delightful couple who were somewhat older than my parent. Martha and Dick embodied all of the ideals that had come in to play in the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. They were frugal, even austere, Puritans and many books could be written about all of the different ways that Martha found to make money and to save money.

Martha never held a job, but she was always working. Martha and Dick lived in a house built in 1740 with a large yard and lovely gardens. He

This entry was posted in Frugal, Making Money, Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Martha’s in the Trash Again

1. Myrna Garren says:

I was homeless about 10 years ago. After I moved into subsidized housing I acquired almost all of my furniture from junk pile and curbs. I looked off an on about 10 years since then and pretty well got all of my household items. In 2006 I retired and moved to where I live now. They have junk day 2 times a year so I don’t do it any more. I did get a sofa from an apartment that empty, but the junk pile is non-existant here. I go to yard sales now.

2. ashleyd says:

i work for a commercial real estate company. every time a tenant moves out of a space i’m the first one there to dig through the left overs… i use what i can, sell the rest!

3. ~Dawn says:

David~
    Now a days I would see it as an invasion of privacy, but that is because times have changed AND we don’t know our neighbors as well as we used to. Plus I don’t have anything to hide.

I don’t recall doing anything questionable to save money, maybe taking home some white-out or tape from the office so I didn’t have to buy it at the store. But that is all I recall at this time.

4. Pingback: Do What You Know - SavingAdvice.com Blog

5. Jan says:

This is questionable because it could have compromised my safety and perhaps that of others – when I was compulsively saving aluminum cans I would often jump out of the car at a stop light and grab any and all smashed roadside cans before the light turned green again. I only did this if I were the passenger. I had to give it up because my sweetheart threatened to drive off and leave me if I kept doing it.

6. Linda says:

I don’t know for sure, but I have heard that once the trash bin is on the curb, it is public domain. That is how those paparazzi guys get info on the stars without going to jail.

If anyone knows for sure, it would be cool to find out. I shred everything with my name on it just to be on the safe side.

7. Ann says:

Where I used to live, they had spring cleanup every year and, by the time the garbage people came to pick things up, at least half had already been acquired by someone converting trash to treasure! I also had a old friend that used to go to yard sales, pick things up cheap, clean them up and sell them on E-Bay at a tidy profit.

In this economy, it’s not as easy to do those things, but I have a feeling that my friend at least partially paid her kids’ (she was a divorced single mother) college education through her “recycling” program!