The One-Month Spending Crash Diet

Last week, I outlined our plan to make November a spending crash diet. We have only $400 to pay for gas, groceries, entertainment, etc. — everything that isn’t a monthly recurring bill — for the entire month.

By day four, hubby began pouting.

“This sucks. Everything costs money. It’s so depressing,” he said, as he unloaded our $18 bag of groceries. “I’m noticing all kinds of things I didn’t before. This takes too much planning.”

Meaning, he finally is noticing that diapers and formula, leaving the kitchen light on, and drinking beer costs money. And now that he has a set budget, all of a sudden he feels like he’s missing out.

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The One-Month Spending Crash Diet

1. sandi says:

good for you! keep it up. just wanted to let you know that what you are doing is inspirational. Thanks.

2. Studenomist says:

I am also taking this November challenge that seems to have swept the personal finance blogging nation.. The only difference is I took out $500 for the month that should cover my entertainment, food, and transportation.. the good news is so far I have $360 left, hopefully I make it until December 1st.. Hope you make it as well..

3. Cindy M says:

Congratulations! The main thing this kind of experience has done for me is make me use my imagination and spend more time in this little home of mine I wanted so badly, and I now truly appreciate what I do have. I spend more time in my yard making it look good and have learned from experience I don’t need to blow a lot on plants or maintenance. I’m a much better cook now from soup to nuts; I should be, I’ve assembled a collection of cookbooks over the years that I just had to have. Stuff I’ve lucked out on over the years at thrift stores I’m finally using to decorate with so the house looks nicer. I even got my old sewing machine out and have refurbished good clothes so I actually dress better than I used to. I should say up front I’m divorced with no kids (who can be notorious for helping you spend your hard-earned money, I know from spending a great deal of time with the grandnephews) but everybody should have to try to figure out how to save a buck and feel good about it. When I do get restless in what little free time I have when not working, I know there’s excellent free entertainment locally to be had out that’s just as satisfying as what costs money. I’m reading good books again and actually enjoying it. I plan to do this the rest of my life.

4. MollyJ says:

I’m trying this challenge too and I have to say in many ways it is liberating. thanks for the inspiration!

5. Carol says:

Well, my hubby got laid off and I wasn’t working full time, so I will definately look forward to hearing about your experiences to get some good tips! Keep up the good work!

6. Gail says:

Keep it up and congrats on the yoga class.

Poster#3 Cindy–I loved your post. this is what people should be doing instead of constantly thinking they need money to be entertained!