White Bread and Green Dough or Why I Closed my Internet Bakery

This entry was posted in Making Money, Personal Finance, Work and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to White Bread and Green Dough or Why I Closed my Internet Bakery

1. Christianne says:

Your thought process was again well written out and clear. Very informative. Thank you for sharing your experience.

2. Aviator says:

Great article. Given how difficult it is for most businesses to make a profit, I’m surprised you threw in the towel (pardon the pun) so quickly.

Could you, for example, raised prices to compensate for the higher shipping costs in the summer? Or could this have been a seasonal business? Or could you have scaled to a commercial kitchen (like used a restaurant kitchen during their “off” hours)?

I’m sure I sound like a Monday morning QB, but it sounds like you had a good, viable business with a few kinks.

3. M. Beddingfield says:

Aviator,
    You make valid points. Yes, it could have been a good, viable business with a few adjustments. However, I was looking for a supplimental income, not a 16+ hour a day home business.

4. Smarty says:

You mean you couldn’t borrow your neighbor’s kitchen? :-)

How about giving your fellow blog readers a sample taste of your cooking?

Anyway, it was a good attempt to run a business and it was unfortuante that you had to shut it down. And thanks for sharing your experience.

5. Myrtle says:

Thank you so much for sharing your actual experience. I can understand your reasons for closing, but it’s also great to know you did well while you were doing it.Thanks again for sharing.

6. Carol says:

Wow, it’s funny I stumbled upon your article, because my husband got a baking certificate from a community college in hopes of opening up a small bakery business. I had no idea about that Dept of Ag regulation about not using your kitchen while doing business baking(I assume you are in the US). It makes sense though, because my husband is always talking about cross-contamination (I think he expects me to start wearing a hairnet!)

You bring up some interesting issues that I will bring to his attention.

7. Joel says:

Priority Mail (3 Days) delivery is to the city of the recipient, it may take several days for the local system to get it to the recipient. I have paid extra for Priority mail and received it 10 days later so it is not always reliable.