Buy This

school fundraiserIt’s that time of year again. My kids had only been back to school for less than a week when they brought home the fundraiser brochure. This year my daughter was selling jewelry, boxed candy and “Michigan” themed products. My son’s school was pushing cookie dough and coffee. My 9 year old daughter immediately showed me the prize sheet and asked if it was possible for us to sell 50 items so she could get the cool flashlight.

In past years, my husband and I have taken the brochures into our workplaces and sold items there, but this year I explained to my daughter that the company I work for is showing signs of closing soon and people are afraid of losing their jobs. Th

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Buy This

1. AmbitiousSaver says:

This is what my kid’s school does. I like it a lot better because 3 kids all holding fundraisers is exhausting and my friend’s get tired of it year after year. However, the donations per child are up to $40 this year compared to $20 last year. But I’m still very thankful I don’t have to sell anything and deliver it to anyone.

2. Debra says:

I like the idea of just donating $ rather than buying something. I never know what the profit to the school is for buying a $20 item but can I just give $8. Fundraisers I’ve liked lately: run-a-thons or read-a-thons or selling gift cards.

3. kdmoffett25 says:

My son’s school collected money for their AR tests. You could send what you wanted. I liked this approach better because I was more willing to send in $20, where my daughter’s school required us to pay $5.25 for the tests. Had they done it the way my son’s school did, they would have earned more.

4. Monkey Mama says:

Our school focuses more on parent donations and events (silent auction and golf tournament) to raise money. My impression is they raise more money this way anyway.

I’d probably donate rather than buy crap anyway.

5. Mac says:

I’m also going to start asking if cash donations are an alternative. I always feel bad about turning them away, but I am also not usually interested in the junk.

Something that you didn’t mention about these fundraisers is that sometimes they can start kids off in prosperous sales careers. Of course that could be a bad thing if it just turns them into thee type of salesperson who peddles overpriced merchandise to people who don’t really need or can’t afford it.

6. leslie says:

School fundraisers are one of my pet peeves. When the fliers come home from the school with my son I just pitch them. I also generally don’t buy anything from other fundraisers. I do make an exception for girl scout cookies (I was a girl scout for a LOOOOONG time and I love Trefoils) and boy scout popcorn.

7. Uhg, I really dislike these fund raisers. I actually enjoy the neighborhood kids coming to the door. Its usually how we keep up with what is going on with cheerlaeding, little league, brownies, etc. What I dislike is that I sometime have to say no.

My kids go/went to a private school, they always have, and now that my youngest is a senior in HS we are still committed to buying the fundraiser things from the HS. As both my kids play sports there is also the additional responsibility of “Selling” fundraiser items. So in addition to paying say $700 for my duaghters golf team or football when my son played we are required to “sell” another $100 in christmas trees or candies.

Just this week the door bell has rung three times with buying requests. I just bought 4 christmas trees for my daughters school, and two of the request where to buy christmas trees. I really don’t like telling the kids no. If there was an option of the type of product you could be and maybe even price ranges it would make it easier to help these kids with thier sales.

I already have to give away three christmas trees, i certianly couldn’t buy any more.

8. ThiNg says:

The boys brought home magazine subscriptions for selling this year. I refused to take them to work. We are constantly reading tips to save money and one of the most common is to cancel subscriptions!!

9. Gail says:

I hate school fundraisers especially now as I have no children in school yet we pay heavy duty school taxes. I think I have and will continue to pay my fair or not so fair (depending on how you look at it) share.