What It Takes to Barter

pumpkinsMy friend, Speedy, is quite possibly the best horse trader within a 200 mile radius. In all the time I’ve known him, he has never held a job and yet seems to do quite well for himself. No, he doesn’t actually trade horses. He uses a system of bartering. He has a knack for trade.

I asked Speedy if I could tag along with him one day and do some research on the fine art of bartering. He said “Yup, as long as you don’t slow me down.” This is really funny because here in the south, we like to give folks nicknames that are the opposite of what they are, like the big guy named Tiny. Well, Speedy wasn’t speedy at all. It took him ten minutes to fasten up the four

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to What It Takes to Barter

1. Max says:

Wow — this is a nice great-Depression-y post :)

2. Pingback: The Basics Of Barter | BarterNewsBlog.com - Barter, Indirect Barter, Business-to-business Barter, Barter Companies, Entrepreneurship, Commercial Barter Industry, Multilateral Barter

3. Dody says:

Max’s comment was mean.

Bartering was our first trade system.

4. Thank you for sharing this article. I had no idea there where barter clubs. I recently posted a baby grand piano I want to sell/barter for a small dependable car. Although I posted on craigslist the response has been limited. More curiosity than interest from barters.

5. John says:

Great post!

I really enjoyed your story. It showed how easy and simple it is to barter.

Best of luck to you.

John

6. ThiNg says:

I used to work at a famous canadian coffee shop, where the owner would drop off a dozen donuts or half dozen muffins once a week to pay for his gym membership. Bartering is happening all around us folks, just two weeks ago I fixed a computer for a guy down the street and he opened and cleaned out my furnace and tightened the belt which was rattling.

The key thing is to know what you have that other people want. And then figure out who has what you want. Everything else is actually know as ‘friendship’ or being ‘neighbourly’.

I use my snowblower on my neighbours driveway, adds about 15 minutes to my work, he dropped off a case of beer the first summer, and this summer he let us use his cottage for a day.

7. Joel says:

Great article,some people enjoy it as a profession.

8. giovanni says:

Bartering is truly very important especially when the economy is not doing well. I know this great bartering website (www.favorpals.org) in which you can barter with others on a safe and secure site. Its goal is to live in “a world without money”, which is really interesting.