Don’t Call Me a Consumer

consumerism killsI’m growing very tired of the word “consumer.” Every time I turn on the TV, the talking heads are discussing “the consumer.” Consumers aren’t spending as much, consumers are cutting back, consumers are hurting, consumers need to increase their spending to save the economy. It’s as though consumers are the only component of the economy. Oh, that’s right. Thanks to many jobs being sent overseas and less production in this country, consumers are the lynch-pin of the U.S. economy. Without consumers (and their associated debt), we have very little other economic activity to fall back on, as seen in the current market crisis.

Because consumer spendi

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Shopping and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Don’t Call Me a Consumer

1. Julie says:

I agree completely!! Good post!

2. Myrna Garren says:

The values of this economy are messed up. I am a consumer, but I consume very little. It’s my choice and I feel confident in my values and actions. It takes a lot of character to live differently than the values of this time. I’m 69 and I was raised with the living below your means as a child. It was normal to live that way.

3. princessperky says:

Nice post, I completely agree

4. MollyJ says:

Amen, sister.

5. Seth says:

Nice article. I especially liked image :)

However I’m more “consumer” than saver… But it’s never too late to change yourself!

6. Heidi says:

I think that the media is finally starting to blame the spenders on the economic mess that the country is in.

7. Lyle says:

I totally agree. I’ve been saying this for years. There are other measures of the economy, such as gross national product, which have nothing to do with buying things. Consuming things doesn’t do anything for the world. We should be measured by how much we produce, not just goods, but giving of our time to help other people or the planet. Alvin Toffler coined the term “prosumer” back in the 60s to mean a combination consumer/producer, which is what we have become. I also dislike the term “content provider” because it suggests that just some people are producers.

8. Gail says:

One simple way to avoid hearing yourself being called a consumer is to shut off the TV and get rid of the newspaper! I actually agree with you and your post. We who choose not to consume at an advanced level aren’t the ones that cause financial problems for our country. It is those that consumer like a locust plague then leave the mess for others to clean up. Every time I hear another family boohooing because they can’t afford their $500K house on their $90K income makes me want to scream at them that they made this choice, what did they think was going to happen.

Anyhow I have found that severely limiting all the news coming in makes me able to go about my day, living my simple life and thanking God for my blessings of a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food in the pantry.

9. Gina Wadding says:

good article thank you for sharing your point of view. it makes a ton of sense

10. anne says:

great post. This irks me, too, almost as much as being called “the taxpayer.” But as savers, I guess that’s what we are.

11. Amen. society has taught us that spendng and going into debt is a good, patriotic thing to do. And you know what some of us have bought into to this croc of (hold your nose) shit.

I’ll be the first to admit I started out a conservative and fiscally responsible person and some how got sucked into the hyper consumer camp. As I look back on this transition into a hyper consumer and as I work back towards fiscal conservatism (or frugalism) I can really appreciate your sentiments.

12. Pingback: Festival of Frugality: Free extra money edition | Mighty Bargain Hunter

13. Carol says:

I feel what you are saying, I think we play too much “keeping up with the Jones” in this country. I think there has to be a balance between responsible spending and accumulating huge amounts of debt.

However, the truth is, if you own any type of business, you have some type of product or service to sell. We don’t have a society where everyone farms and is self-sufficient, producing only what one needs. So “consuming” and being a “consumer” is an important part of our society and economy.

I think that too many people let spending define their whole identity, even if they couldn’t really afford it. And cheap easy financing helped to fuel this endless striving for more.

14. Could saving possibly be in vogue?

15. Pingback: Frugal Living: Is it Common Sense? | Frugal Living

16. Cathy Sykes says:

I agree completely. When did we quit being “citizens” and start being valued solely for what we buy? No one cares about our thoughts, our dreams, our concerns…just what we put on our credit cards. Absurd….and insulting. We are also workers, famiy members, citizens, community members….but none of that counts.

And if you check, you’ll find that very often, the stated concern for “consumers” has nothing to do with people, their actual wants or needs. Instead, it’s all about manipulating us to spend money.