Change Your Eating Habits to Save Money

healthy obentoThere have been many articles published which address ways to save money at the grocery store. For the most part, I believe that most of us already know how to save money at the grocery store.

There are even more articles and books published on our relationship with food. Whether you want to lose weight or gain weight or add muscle or define muscle, there are books to tell you what foods will help you to do so. If you want to improve your health – whether mind, body or spirit – there are plenty of writers who will tell you which food can help.

Have you ever considered how you can redefine your relationship with food to save money? It is possible. You just need to look at a fe

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Health, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Change Your Eating Habits to Save Money

1. fern says:

Some good tips here. A few that i’ve done for years is, pop my own popcorn, learn to love produce that’s in season and baking my own quick breads.

2. baselle says:

Many of these tips can be summed up as: eat mindfully. Good advice for both your health and your wallet.

I eat the fruit after dinner, or as a snack. I don’t drink many of my calories, and if I’m feeling a bit empty after dinner even with the fruit, its water.

Also learn to love ethnic produce esp when bought at an ethnic grocery.

3. Lizzy says:

I have to say it… quit buying coffee out. One person who drinks 1 latte per day would save over $1000 per year just drinking coffee at home. And you don’t have to scrimp! Buy really nice fresh coffee, get yourself a killer espresso machine with the money you saved this year, and every year from here on out is gravy!

4. Chloe says:

We stopped buying many kids snacks also. Many are just full of sugar and not cost efficient. We buy a large package of raisins or trailmix. Smaller pre-packaged items are easier to throw in a lunch box but you can make 5 baggies on Sunday evening for the rest of the week.

5. Pingback: Festival of Frugality #146 - Aridni

6. Gail says:

Very good list of ideas. When I started having chronic health problems I had to force myself to start buying some items that were more processed than before, such as grated cheese, and salad mixes as I rarely feel well enough to do all the prep work and still cook the meal. I cooked from scratch all my life. Very hard to change gears. Due to having a well and the health problems, I also had to start using bottled water (and feel so much better). I guess what I’m saying is these ideas are great, but if due to health or time constraints you can’t follow up on all of them don’t beat yourself up about it.

7. Ann says:

I recently started on a serious diet… it was long overdue!

One of my worst poroblems was snacking at night, but I discovered a “cure”. I keep a pomegranate in the frig and dig it out when the urge to “graze” is overwhelming. If you peel it by hand and are intent on not damaging any of the seeds, it takes one to one and a half hours to eat the thing! By the time I’m through, all thoughts of other food are gone.

8. Margaret Pickett says:

I liked your ideas. I am 89
    years old so I have seen and
    used most of them in my life.
    It never hurts to be reminded.