Eight Things My Hair Taught Me About Personal Finance

curly hairI have demanding hair. It’s thick and curly and tends toward frizziness if I don’t beat it into submission. Like many women, I’ve fought a lifelong love/hate battle with my hair. At times I’ve wanted it straighter, shorter, longer, thinner, thicker or (rarely) curlier. As I’ve aged, however, I’ve mellowed toward my hair and realized that it is what it is and I’ve learned how to make the best of it. Looking back now, I realize that while I was fighting my hair, it was teaching me some subtle (and not so subtle) lessons about personal finance. How can hair teach you anything, you ask? Here’s what my hair taught me about finance:

The most expensive

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Eight Things My Hair Taught Me About Personal Finance

1. princessperky says:

So what do you use to tame frizz?

2. Jennifer says:

@ Princessperky — I use Creative Genius by Tigi, part of their Bed Head line. Works like a charm at taming frizz and keeping the curls nicely shaped.

3. princessperky says:

Thanks!

4. Susan says:

Excellent parallels, I’ve found that life is also like a box of chocolate, but that’s another story :)

5. Gail says:

Nice article. One of the things my hair has taught me was sometimes I’m worth it, so to speak. Up until my late 30’s my mom was still cutting my hair because I couldn’t ‘afford’ to get it cut at a hair place. When I got remarried my hubby heartily endorsed my use of the the beauty parlor for haircuts as needed and even suggested the tip amount. He likes to see me looking nice and to him it is worth it and he knows I appreciate the funds to go and get it cut. Sometimes seeing what our mates allow us to spend money on is a good financial lesson in itself. My 1st husband spent money only on himself and never chipped in for anything I ever needed much less wanted. Current (last) hubby would go without eating for a week to ensure we had the money for my every week hair cut and that is priceless to me (along with the fact we agree on how we should spend and save!)

I learned years ago that one of the cheapest shampoos does what I need it to do with my hair and that is clean it. I watch for sales and stock up as needed and can usually go several years between buying shampoo. Even though I still had a couple more bottels, I did purchase some this year as it was on sale at a price I hadn’t seen in several years plus there was some coupons out so I ended up picking it up for about 30 cents a bottle. I won’t be buying any again for another couple years.

6. Gail says:

Er, I meant to say every 6 week haircuts. I don’t have enough hair to cut it weekly!

7. Steven says:

I don’t have any hair, but loved your post.

8. I got a good chuckle from this. I haven’t stated this publicly until now, but I’m on an austerity plan, and I’m growing my hair until my financial life is in order. Just can’t justify those $40 salon visits.

One way to save money, though (besides going cold turkey) is to visit a beauty school instead of a trendy salon.

9. Jan says:

I’ve found that a teensy bit of jojoba oil is also good for taming the frizzes. I, too have domineering hair!