Five Legal Music Sites that Can Save Money

A love of music can be an expensive love. Over the past four decades, I have watched my 8 track tape, vinyl LP and compact disc collections become varying degrees of obsolete. In the case of the eight track tape, I rejoiced in its demise. In the case of the vinyl LP (including all of my 78 RPM recordings), I clung to my turntable for as long as I could. In the case of compact discs, I grumbled that I had spent so many thousands of dollars on a format that I thought would last forever.

About a year ago, I accepted that I would need to get on the mp3 bandwagon and I purchased an iPod Nano. I then spent two weeks copying many of my CDs onto my computer so that I could then transfer them to

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Entertainment, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Five Legal Music Sites that Can Save Money

1. ill says:

Re: imeem and listening to full albums

imeem launched a redesigned site yesterday which allows you to view artist info pages and listen to their full albums without having to build a playlist of this. So your comment is already out of date.

2. David Mitchell says:

ill — Thanks for the update. I just checked out the iMeem site and I do prefer the new version. I do think they could have done a better job of announcing the new site. When I last visited a week ago, there was no mention of the new functionality that was planned.

Cheers!

3. well I haven’t taken the mp3 plunge yet (even tho my oldster dad has!).

thanks for the tips, will be helpful for my soon-to-be teens.

4. Jesse Wojdylo says:

I do not spend THAT much money on music, but saving every little penny helps. I am quite frugal about things such as music; so this is very helpful!!

5. Me too I haven’t ride on the bandwagon about mp3s because I’m afraid of computer virus.

6. Chris says:

Groovesharklite.com is also another good option

7. Charlie says:

Out of the ones you listed the only one I use is LastFM, but the best one is listed bellow – MeeMix.com, they charge you nothing and it “learns” you and plays you only the genres and song types you prefer. great selection of classic rock too.

8. Allan says:

I don’t like LastFM that much, their users don’t know anything about prog and you get some truly sucky bands alongside the good ones.
    Pandora and MeeMix are the best ones – Pandora does a technical (Music DNA) analysis of the songs, while MeeMix seems to do more of an emotional analysis of them, both deliver great results.

9. fordreduxford says:

good article, i’ll have to llo at some of the sites you list. i recently signed up for emusic and love it, lots of good bands tons of music, pay one price for monthly downloads..

10. I like building playlists on Youtube. Then I can listen to the whole album and see the videos at the same time and thats entertainment for less than nothing.

11. robgil says: