Fight for Your Right to Line Dry

My mom likes to show my friends an embarrassing picture of me. I’m 3 years old, hanging on to my favorite blanket as it’s drying on the line.

Laundry hanging on the line, drying in the breeze, was a frequent part of my childhood, and probably yours too. I didn’t even think about it. It was just something that everyone did.

But when I hung a laundry line in my own backyard this summer, I realized that hanging laundry outside has become a hot button issue, not just in my neighborhood, but all over the country. Two hours after I hung my first load, there was a knock on my door. A neighbor I had only met once was on the porch, arms waving, furious. He was disgusted that we ha

This entry was posted in Frugal, Housing, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Utilities and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Fight for Your Right to Line Dry

1. Megan says:

Hi Denise,

It seems strange to us in Australia that you have to fight for the right to line dry your clothes. Line drying is so much part of our culture and not associated with poverty. We do still, however, use the dryer alot. I challenged myself not to use the dyer all winter and found it not to be too hard!

Cheers,

Megan

2. Annie Jones says:

Our next door neighbor line dries her clothes frequently, as do we. As far as I can tell, we are the only ones on our street who do. :(

I do use my dryer, too. It really just depends on the weather and how much I have to do on a given day. But I would never move to a neighborhood that wouldn’t allow me to line dry. Rather than depicting poverty, I think clothes on a line are a picture of wholesomeness and simpler times.

3. Debra says:

We’ve been using a line all summer and it has been wonderful. It makes your clothes much brighter and uses less energy. Yes, it takes longer and when it’s hot outside (I live in Texas), that’s hard. We have a HOA but haven’t gotten a notice yet. I don’t think it’s covered but now I’ll be dreading that envelope.

4. justme says:

I find that if I say I am doing something to save the earth and not say I am doing it to save money every one is okay with it even snobby people ;-)

I do not hang out all my laundry as I work long hours and if left up too long the clothes fade and the birds poop on them ;-) but I hang out my sheets on sunny weekends so nice and fresh

5. Joan says:

I don’t have to fight for anything. My neighborhood is full of clothesline poles put up decades ago, but many now lack the strings on which to hang clothes. In other words, they are not used. But I do not feel any ire from neighbors for using mine. I use mine for every wash. There are two blankets and a rag rug hanging now.

6. It is none of my business what other people think of me. Therefore, I hang my laundry every time I wash. It smells fresher and saves on electric bill.

7. Christina says:

The reason I never hang laundry out is because it always ends up stiff and some things never seems to dry completely, like thick towels and jeans. Is there some secret I’m missing?

8. Pingback: Carnival of the Green #148 : Sustainablog

9. Gail says:

I love hanging laundry although since we moved I don’t have a line, but I do use a wooden laundry rack for hanging delicates that never go through the dryer, jeans that take forever in the dryer, and things like throw rugs that get ruined in the dryer.

I have found that hanging laundry and folding it (especially back in the days that I hung diapers on the line) give me something that I rarely see mentioned in threads about hanging laundry. Hanging up laundry is a very soothing thing for me to do. I’m out in the fresh air, getting a bit of exercise, and doing a milding repititious task. All combined I end up feeling calmer and more relaxed after hanging out laundry. It sounds like those HOA that forbid laundry lines all need to hang up diapers or towels for awhile and they will be able to save on visits to the shrink for anxiety.

10. acc says:

I live in a homeowner association and like it for the most part. However, they have tagged us for some really stupid stuff like parking partially on the driveway and a little on the side rocks (narrow driveway). They also tried to ban portable basketball hoops too. All the while you drive around and see homes with knee high weeds.

11. Charlotte says:

In Denmark, where i live, its considered really bad for the enviroment (CO2) to use the dryer. We are all the time being encouraged to hang our laundry outside to dry to save electricity and CO2.
    So to me its sounds really silly that so many americans choose their dryer all the time instead the sun/breeze.

12. Gail says:

I love hanging laundry when I am able to, but as strange as it sounds, some American neighbors make it illegal to hang laundry outside! Truly stupid as far as I’m concerned and it makes me glad that I can’t AFFORD to live in that kind of neighborhood.

What I’m getting frustrated about is we have been having a much cooler summer than normal and have also been trying hard to conserve electricity. So what does the electric company do. They have estimated our last three bills. I checked the meter myself. We are almost 1000 Kw behind what they are charging us for.

I thought our electric bills were bad until I read in Money magazine the other day that a guy had managed to get his over $500 monthly electric bill done into the $400’s! He is paying almost as much for electric as we do for our mortgage. I wonder where it is going as we have a large house with the usual appliances. He must be living in some kind of all electric mansion.

13. Breton Wench says:

I too love the flap and snap of sheets drying in the breeze. Here in France it s considered essential to have a line.
    Another interesting point is that constant heat drying ruins the fabrics strength and causes the clothes to age faster. I also feel sun drying , especially on bedding, rids the linen of all the bugs, mites and other stuff that lurks in the weave.

Christina, if you have heavy stuff like jeans and towels, they really benefit from being flipped or reversed so that both sides get the sun and wind. You need a draught to lift the damp from the clothes so make sure there is a current of air running over them; on damp days, I hang mine in the garage and open both doors,
    that way the laundry is dry but has a draught flowing over it.

Now, I must dash as i have a basket of clothes and a sunny day waiting…..

14. cheryl andersen says:

Vermont passed a law last year that no matter where you live you may hang your laundry on the line to dry!! I can remember many years ago, I lived in a condo. I was the only one home in my complex during the day. I hung my laundry out to dry. Guess what?? I got a notice and fine from the clothesline police.It did not take me long to move. Having hung my laundry out all my life, I wasn’t going to ever live where they had a HOA–again!