Things You Never Thought To Do at the Library

The library is an awesome, low cost place to hang out. But once you’ve read all the books, taken all the classes and surfed everything on the web, what else is there? Try these suggestions to make the most of your tax dollars.

Find a date

Forget online dating websites. Choose your next date based on his/her reading preferences. Hang out in the law library or by the medical journals. But be careful – avoid meeting people in the self-help section.

Play games

Play I Spy with young kids. Spy a blue book, or a book by Judy Blume and let the kids go find it. For older kids, you can misfile a book in the fiction section and see how long it takes them to find it. If you really want to m

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Frugal and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Things You Never Thought To Do at the Library

1. Debra says:

Ok, I get that you’re being funny but I’d much rather date someone reading self-help books than law books.

2. MollyJ says:

I personally hate the find a date at the library advice. That became very popular in the late 90s, and it’s like I couldn’t go to the library without some guy making a move. It was really annoying. I’m at the library to get books, not to hook up.

3. t says:

Find a date? Maybe in the 90s or if I was at college library.

4. Gail says:

I assume some of this was meant to be humerous? but the last time I was at our big city library I found some other things that were available that most people would ever think of. They had fishing poles, life jackets, & tackle boxes to check out (our library is located right on a lake)! What a way to draw a non-reader in and then interest him/her in some books on fishing or the lake, etc.

5. D'Juan says:

Better a few Humerous? comments than none at all. Ya’ll could have stretched the imagination a bit more though.

6. Jan says:

Great article! I find the articles on this blog that help me the most are those that encourage me to think and explore.

I am a great fan of my public library and find that the customer service rivals that of the Ritz Carlton! Very helpful staff. They have two meeting rooms which my Neighborhood Watch group utilizes (free) for our monthly meetings. Last month the library hosted a speaker from the DNR to talk about all the different kinds of stone found in our state. He brought samples of most of these for kids to take home. I managed to get a few for myself as well.

My neighbor participates in programs supported by the local mental health center and crochets beautifully. The center worked with her to put together a showcase of her work in the library entrance. This enabled her to have free advertising for her work and I know several people placed orders for scarves since we are coming up on the winter season.

Our library also has a “Friends of the Library” bookstore in a small room just off the lobby. Softcover are $1 and hardcover are $2. It is based on the honor system and you can purchase as many books as you like. The proceeds go to the “Friends” account to purchase new library books or other needed items. Many donated books end up on the “FREE” table in the lobby, as well as magazines. These are all available for the taking.

I really like the “Hold a Book Signing” idea. This may have been written “tongue in cheek”, but it actually is a good idea.

From time to time the library serves as an art gallery for local artists. The walls are decorated for free and if patrons want to purchase any of the pieces, that is encouraged as well.

I don’t know if this post will be helpful to anyone, but I write it on a “take what you like and leave the rest” basis.

Happy saving everyone!!