Six Supermarket Saving Secrets

grocery storeYour grocery bill is likely one of the largest parts of your living expenses. If you were to rank them from largest to smallest, it would probably fall just after mortgage (or rent), energy and car payments. You can’t do much to lower a mortgage payment or car payment, so trimming as much as you can from your weekly food bill makes a lot of sense.

The problem is that we have seen food prices skyrocket, about as much as fuel prices over the past year, and it’s taking an ever bigger bite out of our budgets. Here are some supermarket savings tips I’ve collected over the years of raising a family of four on a single income. Don’t fret, they should work regardless of the

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Food / Groceries, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Six Supermarket Saving Secrets

1. Debra says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that anyone who recommends going to 2 or 3 grocery stores near each other is not taking 2 children under the age of 4 with him/her. I would have to save a lot, and I mean a lot, to make it worth putting the kids into and out of the car seats and sling and shopping cart 2 times let alone three.

2. Thanks for the tips!

Happy blogoversary!

3. baselle says:

Debra – often the loss leaders are weekly and advertised on flyers, which are published in the newspaper or are posted on the grocery’s website. New weekly loss leaders appear on Wednesday morning for us in Seattle. So its best to do your homework @ home on Wednesday night, Thursday morning, figure out which store has the loss leaders that will help you out the most. Then hit that one.

Another technique is to purposely shop late into the flyer, say Tuesday afternoon, and you hope that their loss leaders have sold out. In that situation, ask the cashier for a rain check specific for that grocery store. Rain checks are fabulous – it means you can create your own loss leaders whenever you need to.

4. baselle says:

I enjoyed the tips. Really, all of these tips involve one principle:

Assume nothing, question everything, and keep your eyes open.

Some of my best grocery buys occurred where I didn’t expect (eg: Walgreens for cup o noodles), and some of my worst buys occurred where the common wisdom dictated that I would get a good buy (eg Costco). I swear by the price book.

5. genny says:

I am new at this coupon and rebate game and I have limited access to internet use. how can I max out my rebate power and find out all the different ways to make the most of my coupons? I also live in a very rural area.

6. Gail says:

I just finished filling my pantry for the winter! Yahoo. Most was done with two major shopping trips with my son (25) but I used to shop with my boys when they were little and they behaved very well. Grocery shopping has been a favorite activity of mine and must have carried over to my son that shops with me. Not only is he the frozen food manager of our local store, he scans the sale flyers, clips coupons, etc. Children do learn what they see. I work hard to be sure I am stocked upt with the basics by early fall for several reasons.

1. It gets cold and snowy here and you never know when a ‘grocery day’ will be displaced by a blizzard day.

2. I have arthritis that gets flared up horribly in the winter so that even if grocery day is lovely weather I can’t always get out.

3. It is lovely knowing we have enough food/supplies in the house to get us through a long time stretch without going to the store. Especially nice when the heat bills start hitting.

I used grocery ads and specials, coupons, generic brands, and a list to be sure I had the necessities and some special stuff. Chocolate chips will never be considered necessities but they are a nice addition to cookies. I also have been stocking up on items when I have seen them on good sales. I shop with an eye to the future and don’t just buy one, for some things I buy a dozen or more. While the weather holds, I will still be scanning grocery ads for any other specials to top things off or resplace what we use during the next few months.

7. Norma G says:

Great tips! What I do is if I want an item, and it’s not important to buy it at the moment I wait. Patience is a virtue. I use coupons with the item on sale.Go to a double coupon or the rare triple days that stores have. I have gotten items for free or they have cost me pennies. It’s a great to beat them at their own game. Before you ring, make sure you look for the coupon that is sometimes attached to the item, pull it off. The cashier will most of the time not tell you it’s there. But read it for expiration dates or if they require you to buy something else you might not usually buy. Notice items that have a bonus for example two deodorants or 25% bonus. They cannot charge you extra and you get twice the product. Use a coupon and you get extra savings.