Ten Money-Saving Reasons to Get Out of Bed Early

get out of bedMost of us recall what Ben Franklin told us in his Almanack. “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” In various forms, that proverb actually preceded Old Ben by about 300 years. The fact that we still quote it today tells us that it still has some truth to it. But why?

At times in my life, I have been an early riser, as I am now, and I have been a night owl, as I was when I briefly managed some local bands. Sometimes, I was both, as when I would go to shows all night and then grab a 3:30 am breakfast at a diner even though I had an 8 am class a few hours later. Based on experience, I know that I always feel better when I am paying heed to Mr.

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Ten Money-Saving Reasons to Get Out of Bed Early

1. Texas Girl says:

Thanks for that boost of motivation. I’m a night owl by nature…and I’m trying to change my ways, and its hard to do!! :)

2. phil says:

I never thought about these advantages. It’s really time I started getting up earlier! I love all these kind of tips so keep up the good work.

3. Uncommonadvice says:

I used to get up at 5am everyday but now I’m starting to go the other way and stay up very late. It’s strange how my body clock seems to have changed itself.

4. David Mitchell says:

Most of us are on a 26 hour clock when we are in our prime years, or so I have read. It takes discipline to go to bed at the same time every night but if you do not,you may find that you are up too late on the weekend and then cannot get out of bed for work on Monday. If you work nights, a different rhythm may be more appropriate for you.

5. greengirl says:

good post!
    i work three or four days at a bakery as a cake decorator, so i start at 5.30 am or 6.30 am, depending on my roster that day. I like to get up an hour and a half before work so I can make breakfast, have a coffee and use the computer for a while to check emails, banks, sa, facebook etc. sometimes I plan the meals for the week, or write a grocery list, or a list of things to do when I get home etc.
    Because I start early, I finish at 1.30 pm. (I can be home to make lunch so I don’t have to make it in the morning OR buy it) I have so much extra time in the afternoons to do everything I need to do which is great.
    I start work at 9am on the other two days of the week at my office job, but I am up by 6am. I get a bit more time so I make my lunch as well, seeing as I am not home til 4pm.
    My BF is a tradesman so he also rises at 5am, to start by 6.30 -7 am. We get to share that time in the morning together as well which is nice – he finishes at around 4.30pm though so is not home usually til 5pm.
    On our days off (sometimes we both get a weekend off or sometimes both of us or one of us works on saturdays) we are generally up by 6.30am.
    Weekdays we go to bed by 9.30pm, and weekends it is either a bit later or the same, unless we have plans where we go out.

6. Pingback: Monroe on a Budget » Saving Advice: 10 money-saving reasons to get out of bed early

7. ThiNg says:

I have found that you shouldn’t concentrate on what time you go to bed at all. The important thing is to consistently wake up at the same time each morning (including weekends). Your body will automatically adjust it’s bedtime for you. Stay awake until you feel tired, then sleep. But regardless, get up at the same time. After a couple of days staying up late, you will fall asleep at a reasonable time.

That will increase your ‘active’ time during the day and let you get enough sleep to boot!

8. Pingback: Interesting Reads from Fellow Personal Finance Bloggers #8 | Our Fourpence Worth

9. Great list!

I agree with you point on productivity. Whenever I get up early I get a good jump start on the day and on my work. I manage to achieve so much more when I am up early.

Its strange but I think my body also appreciates it when I get up early – not that I’d consider myself an early riser by no means. But when I get up early I have a renewed sense of energy and vigour.

10. Pingback: Saturday Link-fest | My Daily Dollars

11. Gail says:

My hubby and are are both night owls, him more than me. We work at home too and if he feels like working to midnight that is okay. When we venture out on a ‘date’ it is usually still light out and at times we get the early bird specials too.

Our entertainment costs are few also, out of choice. I’m disabled and don’t enjoy being out for long periods of time so we watch movies (DVD,VHS) at home that we pick up cheap at yardsales, etc. He likes making things and I sew and read for a hobby. I don’t think we are ever bored.

Like you we have no commuting costs and in total we only put about 4000 miles on our car a year. We watch our energy bills and have instituted plans to help lower them.

I guess what I’m saying is that even night owls can save money. Your finances don’t have much to do with what time you do or don’t go to bed, it is all about attitude and how you choose to live your life. For instance you wouldn’t catch me dead at a Black Friday sale–I don’t need anything at them. Our Christmas gift list is short and I make my own clothes and pick up hubbies at when I can find them cheap. After awhile of running a household, there just isn’t that many things a person really NEEDS to buy.

12. Pingback: Demeter’s Garden » Does Getting Up Early Help You Save Money?

13. Denise says:

Nice idea. I am a night owl by nature too so that would be difficult. However, I have been quite happy with my shopping strategy as it makes a difference and timing certainly does as well.

We saved quite a bit of holiday budget to wait for the expected after-holiday sales. That was part of our plan ahead of time. Since then, we have been looking through bargains worth picking up. It

14. Pingback: Interesting Reads from Fellow Personal Finance Bloggers #8 | Pecuniarities

15. Tom says:

Good post I recently start getting up at 5:30am. I use be a night owl, because I had to work 4pm -12:00 and sometimes all night.My body feels much better now that I work 7am-3;30pm. I feel I get a lot more done.Yes I’m always ready to go to bed at 9am

16. Jen says:

Thanks for the interesting post! I’m a bartender/freelance writer, and I’m pretty sure there is a picture of me in the dictionary under the word “nocturnal”. I can even remember crying in elementary school because I had to get up sooo early and walk down the street to the bus stop when the sun was just starting to rise. I recently started writing a blog and I’m slowly trying flip-flop my schedule of tending bar first, and writing afterwards, because the blog has added so much extra writing to my normal workload (with zero extra income…it’s a labor of love!). A very hard thing to do!! If I can just make the switch, I’m sure my productivity would go through the roof! Thanks for the extra incentive!