101 Inexpensive Dates That Aren’t Cheap

cheap date ideas

Planning an effective date is both an art and a science. It is a science because successful planning requires both an understanding of your partner and an understanding of where you are in your relationship. It is an art because it must be creative and at times innovative. Moreover, a successful date must be planned but it also must allow for spontaneity.

While it is not always easy to plan the perfect date activity, it is possible to plan dates that do not require you to break the bank and still not seem cheap. There are far more than you probably have imagined. As you read through them, pay heed to the following advice:

Choose an Appropriate Date

Not all dates are appropriate for a fi

This entry was posted in Frugal, Holidays, Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to 101 Inexpensive Dates That Aren’t Cheap

1. greg says:

fantastic list. I have already bookmarked it for those times when I need a good idea and none seem to come to me.

I think that practically anything can be considered a “date” when you find someone that your really enjoy spending time with. When the key is spending time with them no matter what, you know that you have found yourself a keeper.

So many people think that dates need to involve a lot of planning and money for them to be successful, but it’s the ones that are spontaneous and relatively cost free that usually end up being the most memorable.

2. deana says:

Thank you for all the ideas. It’s a shame that people today feel that they must be entertained for it to be a date. What ever happened to long walks and just walking about things? That is how you really get to know another person. I think that it is simple dates that are the most revealing about the person you’re with.

3. Uncommonadvice says:

Good work!

In the UK 99 first dates out of 100 rely on getting absolutely drunk with each other!

4. Adam says:

A great modern one is to go geohashing together, especially if you know a good place already. Bring a picnic lunch and a blanket so you can have a picnic while you’re at it. A great way to have a romantic day outdoors, and have a fun activity to go along with it!

5. David Mitchell says:

I admit I had to look up geohashing in wikipedia but it does look very cool! Thanks for the suggestion!

6. Liz says:

Why are so many of these christian based? what are us poor atheists to do :P At any rate, a lot of redundant or boring ideas, but a lot of good ones too.

7. kat says:

You forgot Go Dancing. Whether you know a good nightclub or just a restaurant with a dance floor and a local band. There’s nothing more fun that dancing all night with your significant other and if you find the right place it’s not that expensive.

8. Anonymous says:

Most of your “intellectual” dates are actually “cultural” dates. They’re somewhat high brow, perhaps, if you equate brows with class. But class and culture don’t necessarily mean brains. Just thought you ought to know the difference.

9. David says:

Wow, a very nice list of things to do with a date.

Loved the idea of making making this list as a date.

10. Pingback: weliveharlem.com Blog » LET’S GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE!

11. Nikki says:

what happened to going to the movies?
    snuggling up is cosy n u can spend time without talking :P

12. Pingback: Giving Back with a Few Clicks and Keystrokes - SavingAdvice.com Blog

13. Evan says:

This is an awesome list! Like seriously, how amazing must you be to have come up with this whole list? Thanks.

- Evan

14. David G. Mitchell says:

Evan — Thanks for your kind words! I am not sure about “awesome” but I am definitely experienced!

Also, I checked out your website and very much enjoy it. If I pick up my guitar again, as I hope to do, I shall spend more time on your site.

Cheers!

15. justin says:

haha #101 is clever. as well as the whole list. the list is gold. i love it.

16. Kam K says:

Great List. Been a while since I saw a really good and detailed one. Nice work.

17. Mike says:

Good list! I’d like to add stargazing and outdoor sports like mountain biking.

18. Steve says:

“30) Go to church together: Even if you go to a different church or follow a different faith, all paths lead to the same place. Share the experience and learn a bit more about your partner.”

sorry, but all paths do NOT lead to the same place. many religions are mutually exclusive of each other.

19. Alissa says:

WOW!! GREAT IDEAS!!! Thanks soo much! Greeeaattt list!

20. Nick says:

Damn man, how long did this last take you? Seriously though, a lot of good ideas here. Now that Spring is back in season, Yesterday I took my girlfriend for our first run together. It really does make for a fun date :)

21. Laura Smith says:

Thanks for all the ideas. Whatever happened to long walks and just walking about things? A great modern one is to go geohashing together, especially if you know a good place already. Bring a picnic lunch and a blanket so you can have a picnic while you’re at it.

22. Gretta says:

Just a helpful hint: DO NOT take your date to a cemetary until you are VERY serious or married. That is possibly the worst first date place on earth. In fact, it’s not really a date. It’s more of a “I think you need access your emotions because I’m your therapist” move. There will be no kissing at a cemetary, no flirting or banter. . .that’s just weird. Unless your date is the type that buys all their clothes at HotTopic, I recommend sticking to the more traditional coffee and a walk (THROUGH A NORMAL PARK.)

23. Celina says:

Thank you so much for this list! So very helpful. Being a new college student and starting to date more and more I often find myself sitting on the couch with my date struggling to figure out something to do to get to know each other better. Usually the default option is to watch or go see a movie together, which doesn’t allow for much interaction. It’s nice to now have a list that I can go to with many ideas that are stimulating and things that allows a couple to not only get to know each other better but also to form emotional bonds. Concepts such as these seem to be a bit lacking in today’s society. Thank you!

-Celina

24. Tanner says:

Good ideas bro one to add could be visit an aquarium

25. MelBerry says:

These are great ideas, but I really only had to omment because I LOVE Miltons! (Or, did, I guess). Java Break is great for atmosphere too! ;)ool to see “home” around the internets on Stumble!

26. Katie says:

I think the historic cemetery date could work. Definitely not as a first date, you’d have to know your date would be interested in something like that. But, I think historic cemeteries are really interesting. Bonadventure cemetery in Savannah is a really interesting place, so much history! I wouldn’t object if my boyfriend wanted to take me there. Love this list, full of cute ideas.