The Four Keys to a Successful Financial Future

old keys

There are many things you can do to improve your finances. We talk a lot about the various ways to cut your spending and increase your savings, both big and small. All the options can be difficult to sort out. There can be a lot to learn, particularly if you’re new to looking after your finances. What will save you the most money? What will help you the most right now? How do you learn about investing? How do you get the most for your money? It’s a lot to take in for many people.

However, the best financial actions you can take can be boiled down to four. Yes, only four. If you commit to these four things and nothing else, you will still be on your way to a successful finan

This entry was posted in Debt, Insurance, Investing, Personal Finance, Retirement, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The Four Keys to a Successful Financial Future

1. Miranda says:

Thank you for these keys. They really will lead to success down the road, and a more secure future. Of course, they all require planning, so it is important to carefully evaluate where you are, and then make a plan to help you achieve the four goals you have listed.

2. T'Pol says:

Very good post and very reassuring. Seems like I am on the right track. I have done all that you mention. It feels very secure. I would also add “Live below your means”.

3. Vinnie says:

I’ll be finishing two years since i started working on the 25th of december which coincides with my 25th birthday.I normally sit in traffic and think of the wrong turns i have made along the two years ave been working. all i can account for is the kind of fun life i have had against a string of debts.I just console myself that those were my rat years.I have huge credit card debts and personal loans secured against my salary thus am currently earning 50% what i used to earn when i started working.Probably life on the fastlane isnt so much on the fastlane coz life pulls a fast one on you.
    Probably if I had read this article this time two years ago, I would be very far from where I am at the moment.
    I am still young and have a big life ahead of me and I still have a chance of undoing all the mistakes I have made.Thanks for the advice.
    Vinnie, Kenya.

4. Julie says:

It’s nice to see a plan with four simple keys – I think that people make planning for a good financial future too complex, and it scares people away. I thought I’d add a tip: put some money in a high yield savings account.

5. CSimms says:

Great points, especially #2 and #4. A lot of people don’t realize how important retirement planning is until they only have 10 years left until they retire and no nest egg. Readers will also want to understand the difference between a traditional and a ROTH IRA and the benefits of one versus the other. Again, very helpful and well-thought out post.

6. Joe says:

Jennifer,

This blog is very interesting and very useful. Thanks for putting this together. Many of us seem to have a good retirement plan but seldom think about the emergency fund. In these economic times, it is important to build a good protection plan by creating an emergency fund.
    I wanted to add another point in creating a successful financial future. We spend a lot of time to create a very solid & successful financial plan for our future. However we tend to forget to include our dear ones in the plan. It is also important to ensure that we leave this wealth behind for our dear ones. So I would recommend that you add one more key element to this list (creating a will). What good is a successful financial plan if you cannot leave behind the wealth to your dear ones? I would hate to see all my wealth go to the government when I could have left it behind for my loved ones. So it is also important to ensure you make them part of the overall financial plan by creating a will that helps them make use of your wealth.