Four Reasons to Shop the Perimeter of the Grocery Store Last

I went grocery shopping today. I went to Publix, where I do all of my shopping. The store was well stocked. The produce was fresh. The employees were helpful and friendly. As I walked the aisles, I thought to myself, “this is fun.” Upon checking out, I was pleased with my savings (about 20%, despite close to half of my purchase being fresh meats and produce) and preparing to walk to my car, when the bagger stopped me and said, “Thank you for always arranging your food so nicely when you put it on the conveyor belt. It makes bagging your food so much easier.” I smiled in response and replied that it was my pleasure to help.

As I walked to my car, I started to th

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Four Reasons to Shop the Perimeter of the Grocery Store Last

1. Ryan Duff says:

I write up my grocery list before I go to the store, from one end to the other. Yes, I shop from produce to frozen food. I normally put any produce in the top basket. I’ve never actually seen anybody throw it to the bottom of the cart to be buried by the rest of the groceries.

I can hit only the aisles that I need and minimize my time in the store. On a large day, I’m there no more than 20-30 minutes (usually 15-20), including checkout and packing groceries in my car.

I also normally shop once a week so I’m only buying 30-40 items at a time. This allows me to order things on the belt as I unload them from my cart. Heavy items, frozen/cold items, boxed items (things that pack well together, and lastly delicate items such as fruit, bread and eggs. It makes it easier on the bagger (or myself) and when I put the items back in my cart, the heavy things are on the bottom and the delicate items are, once again, on top.

2. Annie Jones says:

I keep a cooler in my car for groceries to help protect the perishables.

The added benefit is that, if I’m in a different neighborhood than my own and notice a grocery special (some grocery stores still post ads in their windows here), I can take advantage of it even if I’m several miles from my house.

3. Provi Hernandez says:

I really enoyed this article. I think you have expresed so many neneficial ways of shopping in just one article that from now on, I’m going to do the same thing, and try to make everything efficient and fun. I like taking my time around the store as well since shopping really can be fun, and I like to look around as well, and make sure I don’t miss anything.

I live in FL, so the ice really counts too!

Thank you so much for your article.

4. mahanda says:

thank-you for this article, going to try this tomorrow for my shopping. good tips here, specially the produce last-which i cannot believe i never thought about.

5. Pat MaGroine says:

“Common sense prevails yet once again!”
    But a good article for young people starting out on their own I suppose.

Here’s another tip about grocery shopping:
    We keep an ice chest in our trunk because we live in Phoenix, AZ. where the warm temps and sunny days are an everyday thing.
    We freeze 2 & 3-LTR. plastic soda bottles and use them in our ice chest instead of having to purchase ice at the store. You’d be amazed at how long they stay frozen in there! So when we buy our milk, etc., we don’t have to worry about it spoiling before we get it home.

Also when checking out, one of you put the items in order as suggested in this article while the other watches the register for pricing mistakes. They happen more than you think. Those paper towels that were on sale 2 @ $1.00 just rang up at .89-cents each!!

When the person unloading the cart is finished, proceed to the front to either bag the groceries yourself to ensure it’s properly done, or, to watch the bagger to make sure that they don’t put your bread, tomatoes, eggs, etc. on the bottom with your canned goods on top~YIKES! Some inexperienced young people will mistakenly do this periodically. Especially when it’s their first job. But don’t lose your cool, simply explain to them the better way and show them and they will remember from then on.
    Have patience with them… it’s a hard job and they don’t make much money and they put up with a lot of %$#@*!

6. minny says:

Here in the UK I do my main shop online. I do the order a few days before I want it delivered, this means when I find that box of cereal I can delete the one on the list. The same with something I’ve missed, it can be added.

It is easy for me to see offers, and the ‘buy one get one free’s are on branded goods that even on offer are more expensive than the supermarket’s own brands.

My husband buys any top ups – usually fruit and milk. He is reliable and does not impulse buy!

I get shopping online once a month and top ups about weekly.

7. eric degman says:

honestly, this was one of the more ridiculous pieces i’ve read in a long, long time. sure, sounds like you have a nice process in place, but why this is in a ‘savings advice’ blog, i have no idea. i think it’s pretty common sense to make sure your produce doesn’t get damaged regardless of where you put it in your cart. come on. this is an example of why the proliferation of blogs is littering the world.

8. David Mitchell says:

Eric — I am sorry that you do not like the article. I respect your opinion. That said, what seems like common sense to you may not be so clear to others. I have have seen many people put their produce in the bottom of their shopping cart and then struggle to rotate items out of the bottom as they go through the store. I have also had several cashiers and baggers comment that my produce makes it to the check out line in better shape than many other people.

Also, I do think that part of the appeal of a blog site is that it gives the reader a chance to think about things in a different way. Even if a reader does not adopt a recommendation that I make (or anyone else makes), it is enough if they think about their routines and how they can make them more efficient or productive.

Cheers!