Are You Financially Lazy?

One reason that people have trouble with their finances is that they tend to be lazy about managing them. That is not to say that one should spend 24 hours a day making sure every little financial detail is in order, but when you begin to lose money in ways that could be solved with a small amount of time and organization, you’ve joined the many people who are financially lazy. Here are 10 signs that you may be one of them:

You still have your savings in a brick-and-mortar bank

Part of taking care of your finances is to maximize the amount of interest your money earns. Most brick-and-mortar banks pay a paltry amount on their savings accounts. With online banks paying much higher inter

This entry was posted in Credit Cards, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Are You Financially Lazy?

1. James says:

I think it’s laziness in a sense, but I also think that it’s a little more than that. People don’t give their finances the attention they deserve. I don’t think most people even know that they can get better rates at an on-line bank or that it’s worth their money to shop around.

Brand loyalty is a large part of it too. Other things factor into peoples’ equations, such as customer service, location, etc., that it’s hard to place a dollar value on. To people like us, cost is key, but that’s not always the case.

2. Bonnie says:

Good article. I recently shopped around for car insurance and ended up getting double the coverage for $600. less. $600! And that’s for six months, not a year. I was surprised. We’d been with the first company for six years and it seemed they were raising our rates every six months. We had no accidents or claims either. Ever. One thing that surprised me more was the new agent mentioning that we got a cut in rates because we were with our old company for a long time. So now they are pricing in car insurance shopping? Sheesh.

3. Aleta says:

I think being lazy can even be when you leave money in an account that is getting a lower interest rate and you don’t transfer it to a higher savings vehicle.

Sometimes going to a bank too often for depositing checks or smaller amounts can cost you more in gas than what you are losing in interest. I arrange my errands so that I can shop and deposit any checks in the same trip.

I arrange my money in the largest amounts to the smallest and add the interest rate beside it. There are cases where you have cash money at home that isn’t earning interest. I see if I can’t move the money around to get the best rates.

4. hi050800 says:

I think that we’ve all lost the “value” of our money. It’s so easy to use cards and we just don’t track it until it’s at $0 then we try to remember what we spent it on! There is a great product available called a Personal Budget Organiser. I have one and it’s just a normal wallet with 5 extra tabbed sections inside to organise the budget. It works best for me when I put cash into each section, because I can see what’s left! I bought mine online at http://www.secretbudget.net and it’s the best thing I’ve done for my household budget!

5. SaveForHouse says:

I would also say that another aspect of financial laziness is not investing time to read about personal finance. Whether it’s the internet, books, TV, or even board games such as Robert Kiyosaki’s Cash Flow, everyone should spend at least a few hours each week enriching their financial education. Expanding your universe through financial education will pay huge dividends over the long run and perhaps allow you to be a little lazy on some of the smaller things.

6. Darren says:

Apathy accounts for most of the profits extracted from consumers.

Confusion + people + laziness = profit for others

And I’d like to add that another great book is “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George S Clason. A very easy to read book on wealth and finance, told through parabals.

An hour or two of financial education is very empowering.

7. Gabriele says:

Laziness may be one reson that people don’t manage their finances well, but another reason is fear and a knowledge deficit…also based on fear, or a math dedicit causing fear. It’s not just black & white. The psyche can do a number on our financial status :-( which is why people like Opra have people like Suze Ormon and David Bach help people in financial distress. Those issues keep Suze & David well employed…as well as Opra! I know, I listened to those shows, and got myself out of financial ruin!

8. Gail says:

Sometimes being ‘lazy’ can work in our favor. I am always on the lookout for easy passive ways to save. Those are the things that once you sign up, you receive the benefit of the savings year after year with no thought about it. We had the opportunity to sign up for on-line handling of our IRAs. This was a $25 savings eacy year for each IRA. Total of $50 a year till whenever. As much as I never liked direct withdrawals, I found that signing up for them for certain bills, saved money off the bill plus the stamps. One bill paid monthly by mail takes $5.04 at current postage rates.

In the book Cheaper By the Dozen, the father was an efficieny expert. He would go into a factory and ask to see the laziest guy (that got his work done). Inevitably the ‘lazy’ guy had used efficient techniques that saved him time and effort. So when you think about lazy, you have to think about lazy in the context of whether or not they are achieving their financial goals in an easy efficient manner or are they just too lazy to care about financial goals. I would love to watch the efficient lazy person and see how they do. Many financial things can be but on automatic pilot which frees us up to find more things to do to save on automatic pilot.

9. Pingback: Procrastination: 100+ Reasons You Shouldn’t Be Reading This - SavingAdvice.com Blog