What To Do When You Hate Your Job

Unless you’re very fortunate, at some point in your life you’re likely to have a job you hate. You might not hate it in the beginning but sooner or later, whether it’s because management changes, your responsibilities are shift, or your coworkers become morons, you’ll wake up one day and say, “I hate my job.” And unless you are very wealthy, you’re going to have to get up and go to work regardless. So what can you do if the time comes when you despise your job? Is there any way to make it bearable?

Wanting to change or leave a job that you hate is no different from anything else. Simply complaining and moping about it won’t change anything. You

This entry was posted in Work and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to What To Do When You Hate Your Job

1. Jinu Sunil says:

A nice blog. But it is better to leave your job after you get a new job. Otherwise you have to be get tensed. I have seen it. One of my friends left his job and started to search for a new one. It took 5 months for him to get a new job.

2. Amy F. says:

Jennifer,
    Excellent article! Very thoughtful and well-organized. Your advice is relevant to everyone.

3. SaveForHouse says:

Really like this article! One thing I have noticed is the grass always looks greener but never actually is! Consequently, I think it also makes sense to diversify your income into multiple income streams. If you don’t like your job, why not start a part time business on the side such as an income producing website? Over time, that will take some of the pressure off knowing that your job is not your only source of income. Moreover, if you do really well, your part time business may become your full time business. Also, I like to play mind games with myself. When things get bad, I start counting up my PTO (Paid Time Off) days and set goals. “If I save up 100 hours of PTO, then I can take a day off.”

4. Diolla says:

Funny how you should come up with this just as I was finishing up those last steps. I am heading back to school with both a professional and financial plan after working out my ‘exit strategy’

5. Nikki says:

This is exactly what I did. I was in retail making 8 bucks an hour…hated it. Took stock of my life. Went back to school. Finished my Bachelor’s. Now i’m at a law firm making way more than I ever thought I would. It takes time but if you set small goals for yourself anything is possible.

6. Ana G. R. says:

This is so true! Great Article.

7. Rena says:

As a paralegal working in a small town, I hate the job and most of the people I work with. I started out working in the metropolitan city, but got tired of the “rat race” of working downtown. Well, I thought that small town U.S.A. was the answer…well I was wrong! I work in an environment where the lead attorneys and office administrator “rule the roost” so to speak. They tell you when to go to lunch, when to take your vacation, everything…There are no such things as personal days…you are either on vacation or sick. You might not want to use vacation (which by the way HAS to be scheduled the first part of the year, for the entire year!) time, but some personal time. This is not allowed. I could go on and on, but the whole thing in the nutshell just says that they’ve made me detest the profession that I’ve chosen. I’ve always dreamed of being in the legal field and had a strong desire to help people in anyway that I can. Now, I just pray for the day that someone calls me up an makes me an offer for another job….I’ll jump on it! Afterall, it can’t be any worse…can it….??

8. belinda says:

This is a very good article!! As a thirty five year old that has spent the last ten years in Public Service Sector, I decided to take a job in a different field, in a different state and I hate it!! I FEEL TAHT I MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE! Now I have to regroup and go into the field I formally left because I came to the realization that I should have taken a few weeks of vacation and gone back to work refreshed. Now I see the error of my ways and I miss the day to day hustle and bustle of my last job and I just want to kick myself. But there is no door that we walk into that GOD cannot get us out of. And believe me I am on the first thing appropriate, on my way out!

9. Libby says:

Would be great advice – but what is there to do in a welfare/warfare state?