The Latte Effect: When Financial Changes May Be a Little Late

It was recently announced in the news that Starbucks (SBUX) will be closing over 600 stores due to a phenomenon nicknamed “The Latte Effect.” This basically describes the actions people often take when economic times are tough and money is tight, which includes cutting back on extra expenses like coffee, manicures and hair treatments. While some people may be able to relate to this new trend, I personally don’t relate to it at this point in time. This is because I’ve been cutting back on these things for years and tough economic times have really not had an effect on me in this area.

A few years ago when the economy was strong and people seemed to be spending mone

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Latte Effect: When Financial Changes May Be a Little Late

1. Allison says:

My mother and I recently went through our normal expenses to cut out the fat. My mother states that she and my father will save over $10,000 per year! I know my husband and I will be saving well over $1000.

2. Christina says:

Starbucks may simply have overexpanded too. I can walk to four Starbucks outlets, and one kiosk in the neighborhood supermarket. And three independent espresso places.

I wish I could find a way to cut an extra $1000 from our spending each month — that would be nifty. But the only luxury I have that is listed is the cell phone, and I don’t know how much of a luxury that is when I do not have a phone at work, or when I am traveling away from home and am trying to hook up with my friends. Maybe more of a utilitarian convenience than, say, a pedicure or enhanced cable services.

3. Cutting back is hard, but you’re right, it is good to get in the habit before you get to the point where you’re struggling. Of course there are a million things to add to the list–particularly insurance and groceries in my case–but realizing that you have a problem is the key. Most people simply don’t.

4. Shadox says:

The importance of saving on the small stuff cannot be over stated. These small amounts really add up.

On my blog I created an interactive calculator to illustrate the true impact of saving small amounts over the long haul. Check it out:

5. Sam says:

Cutting back on unnecessary expenses and saving them instead in a retirement fund will actually make more sense. Before you know it, you’re already a millionaire when you reach 60, if you save it in a mutual fund that earns at least 3%/yr.

Sam
    Fix My Personal Finance

6. ben says:

@ sam

Ummm, I hope the 3% was a mistype for the mutual fund. You may be a millionaire, but it won’t be worth anything since the inflation rate of 3% will make it entirely a mute point

7. Allee says:

600 stores closed means that there’s going to be a lot of unemployment.

8. Jo says:

To poster #6, “mute point”? I’d say that’s a Freudian slip, eh?

I’d love to cut back on all the channels we get from dish satellite. Unfortunately, my significant other is a disabled former Marine. He’s on social security disability and awaiting an increase in his disability rating from the VA. In the meantime, when he’s having to take it easy and sit down, he enjoys watching the Science Channel, Discover, History Channel, Military Channel. Plus, since he contributes a significant amount of $$$ to the household expenses, he feels he has a say in which package we will subscribe.

Perhaps it’s time I called Dish Network to see if they’re offering a worthwhile package that will save me a good chunk of change each month.

9. Terri says:

Here is my dilemma, I have cut those things so far out of my life it isn

10. Pingback: Dumb Little World » Helpful Ways To Save Money In Hard Times