Are You Really Worse Off or Does It Just Seem That Way?

Like any good financial nerd, I spend a lot of time watching and reading the media’s coverage of the economy. Over the last few months the tone has gone from mildly concerned, through concerned, and on to full blown panic. This amuses me because you can literally watch the rhetoric ratchet up and up, sometimes from one extreme to the other in a single day. One station or paper reports things as “troublesome” then the next paper or station has to go one better and reports things as “worrisome.” Then the next one has to make it sound still scarier, so they go with “deeply concerning.” And on it goes until everyone is tossing out words like “pani

This entry was posted in Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Are You Really Worse Off or Does It Just Seem That Way?

1. Courtney says:

OK, you’re right. It’s ONLY $20 more for gasoline. And I do have an efficient car. So does my husband. And we don’t have to drive very often, so we only fill up once every week.

But $20 for two cars, filled once every week, costs us an additional $2080 every year.

That is enough for a semester of community college for my husband.When we’re struggling to pay the bills every semester, we don’t really need to add that to our credit card bill.

“Only” $20? Pshaw.

2. ActYourWage says:

@Courtney: Cut back on your entertainment. This past weekend Batman had an all-time box office high in sales. People must be getting by some how.

BTW, My wife and I spend about $475 in gas/month. That is $5700 a year. I bet alot of people make more than we do too.

3. ActYourWage says:

I agree with this article. If the media would shut up; people wouldn’t react the way they do.

Thanks.

4. Brenda says:

I think that you underestimate the fact that many people do live so close to the edge. Unfortunately, this may not necessarily be the result of poor money management, but largely due to the decreasing salaries (IBM did a huge paycut and other companies are following suit), increasing prices. I think you make light of a volatile economic situation.

5. Rose says:

Thank you for this – it’s a great little reality check. :)

6. Jay Gatsby says:

ActYourWage,

The media needs something about which to write. Unfortunately, bad news sells rather well. We would all be better for it if we just tuned out once in a while. Another idea is to watch international news. You’ll be amazed how much of a difference there is between U.S. news and international news.

7. disneysteve says:

Jennifer, I think you are right. And Brenda, I think you are right, too.

I do think people take their cues from the media and “feel” richer or poorer based on the news, whether it is true or not.

But Brenda’s point is a good one. Lots of folks live paycheck to paycheck. Sometimes it is due to too many wants but sometimes it is simply due to a low income. So an extra $20/week might be easy to compensate for if you have a lot of fat in your budget, but if you are already living lean, that extra $20 isn’t so easy to adjust for.

Personally, we’re doing fine. We continue to meet all our savings goals. In fact, I just increased from 18% to 19% of income going to savings as of July 1. Of course, I see the numbers dropping in our investment portfolio so that does make me “feel” poorer. I know they are only paper losses, but they are losses all the same.

8. SaveForHouse says:

I agree with this article that the media in general is worthless. The media is all about generating buzz to sell advertising, but of course there are always a few positive exceptions.

At the same time, must disagree with this article. No, things are not that much different for me vs. 1 year ago. However, that does not mean that I should ignore the macroeconomic facts that have been slowly compounding for the last 10-15 years. It’s hard to see change when you look at 1 year, but it’s easy when you look at the longer term.

Each year that passes (starting in the 90s when Greenspan started driving the dollar into the ground with low interest rates), the US is in worse shape in terms of inflation, national debt, debt of the average US citizen, and financial shape of the average US citizen. I think it’s time for people to wake up and realize that major changes need to be made on our overall fiscal policy in addition to the average person’s personal financial situation. While the media is clueless, I’m glad that they are at least creating some buzz because people need to start thinking about these topics seriously and taking action.

9. Dody says:

This is utter tripe! When the divide between rich and poor is the widest since the Depression, and at least 30% of the US close t the edge, you act superior and tell them to quit whining. Go to hell you bloody blue blood wanker.

10. I really don’t think the blockbuster movie tally has anything to do with how people are pinched financially.

If you’re living paycheck to paycheck, do you go to 10 movies throughout the year … or do you pick the one or two you really want to see and make an effort to go?

11. ActYourWage says:

@Monroe on a budget

Most people don’t live on a budget, they eat out all the time and go to the movies or some form of entertainment. Those people that watch Batman have probably been to a few others this year. You may save up and only go to one you really want to see, but lets face the majority don’t take this approach. The media IS a major factor in our thinking.

12. TopWaysToSave says:

The economy is definitely rough, but I think the media does fan the flames. The worse they portray everything the more people panic.

It seems like everything is off right now. Job loss is high. Real Estate is rough. Gas and food prices are going higher and higher and it seems every utility rate is rising. Sadly peoples pay checks aren’t raising enough to cover all these extra increases.

People have to find more creative ways to cut back and save and it’s getting harder and harder for some.

Its darkest before the dawn so hopefully we’ve seen it as dark as it’s going to get.

13. vashana says:

I am glad you wrote this article. I feel better about wondering what the big deal is on the increase of gas and food. Yes, everything is more expensive, that happens. We just factor it in to our budget. No, we don’t have very high income(I am a stay at home mom).

We just live way below our means and budget. We have been taking advantage of the market by buying real estate(in cash).

14. Gail says:

Very good article. Each person needs to take a look at their own finances and see if they need to cut out some fat or find ways to save. The media is horrible about gloom and doom and it scares people needlessly. As the writer said if you already have a house and no plans to sell it, the current housing market really isn’t ( or shouldn’t be) a big concern to you.

I ran errands today and in the process I saw a newspaper screaming headlines about the cost of natural gas going up. Immediately I was hit with a sense of dread. At the same time I know we are doing what we can to lower our heating costs and I have some more things to do before winter–making insulated curtains, etc. I also found that I needed to remember who is really in control of my life and HE can be trusted to care for us.

15. Carol says:

Jennifer, I don’t mean to flame or any offense, but you sound like someone on the Titanic who says, “There’s no water in my cabin yet, so how can the ship be sinking?”. When you say that unless someone is “living on the edge” or only feeling the effects of the economy in certain areas where things are tough, you are talking about millions of Americans. And not just people in the inner cities or poor rural America, but white picket-fence, 2.5 car garage suburbia, too. How will the market be able to absorb the loss of all this purchasing power without the rest of us feeling the effects through higher prices? Not to mention the falling value of the dollar which further reduces our purchasing power.

And by the way, regarding the people going to see Batman, remember the “Golden age of Hollywood” was during the Great Depression. Millions of people went to the movies to get their minds off of 25% unemployment.

16. As Paul Simon once said, “I don’t believe what I read in the papers – they’re just out to capture my dime.”

Personally, I find the fact that he references a dime for a paper somewhat telling. After all, that is a lot of what we’re dealing with now with increased food and energy prices – inflation. Inflation comes, and inflation goes. So do housing, credit, and tech bubbles. Despite the trying times we find ourselves in, I don’t think it’s great depression time. Technically, the U.S. has not even entered a recession yet, but 75+% of the population thinks we have just because they hear it, see it and read it day in and day out on T. V., radio and the papers.

What’s really at play here is greed and marketing. The media knows that nothing sells like fear, and with a 24/7 news cycle and increased competition, everyone is out to capture your dime. “News at 11 – don’t miss our special report!”

Each of us should stop and consider: Are you really as bad off as you feel after seeing the nightly news?

Yes, I know we pay more for gasoline and corn products than we did a year ago, but has your quality of life really suffered all that much? Are you living on cat food? I’m going to guess that most of us are not. The latest iPhone sold out in record time despite a high price tag. The new batman movie broke box office records. People are still taking vacations and spending money on things one can hardly call necessities.

As for me:

“I ain’t worrying
    And I ain’t scurrying;
    I’m having a good time”

17. mark says:

Great article. And I agree. I too was following the recent news development on the economy and I became depressed and panicky — until I simply turned it off for a few days, re-checked my finances and figured out I have never been better off.

It’s funny how people beilive that what they see on TV is more real than the reality itself.

18. Cindy M says:

I routinely have come ignore most of what the media has to say about anything for my own peace of mind; it’s the same old drivel day after day. There’s really “no new thing under the sun,” Ecc. 1:9 in the bigger scope of things. And you sure don’t have to spend a dime on Batman or anything else coming out of hollywood when you can easily google and watch it for free on your own PC.