iPhone 3G

I’m a big fan of index funds because, quite frankly, I don’t know much about investing and I would rather spend my time doing other things than learning how to invest in individual companies. Warren Buffett agrees with me on this as his response to a question at the Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholder meeting:

“If you were 30 years old and had no dependents but a full-time job that precluded full-time investing, how would you invest your first million dollars, assuming that you can cover 18 months of expenses with other savings? Thank you in advance for being as specific as possible with asset classes and allocation percentage.”

Buffett let out a small laugh and be

This entry was posted in Investing, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Investing Hack: Why I bought $199 in Apple Stock Instead of a New Apple 3G iPhone

1. Rose says:

I am completely clueless when it comes to buying stock. How, exactly, do you buy shares of Apple? What are the steps you took? Do I need a broker? Do I sign up for ETrade? It seems way to complicated and mystical to me. If you could break it down into simple steps, I might actually learn something! Peace. :)

2. Jason H says:

Rose – You can open an individual trader account with TDAmeritrade, ETrade, Schwab, or any other discount online broker.

Then it’s time to do some homework on the companies you are interested in. Are they financially stable? Do they actually make money on their core product? Are they historically moving lower or higher?

A good resource, as much as he can be annoying, is Jim Cramer’s Mad Money on CNBC or CNBC.com. Also pick up a book on investing.

3. Hilary says:

I’d wait before celebrating too much… Apple is doing great now, sure, but that doesn’t mean they’ll keep with it forever. A lot of analysts feel that way, anyway. Just as soon as you can gain that money, you can lose it again.

4. Jerry says:

I like Warren Buffets comments. He seems to be straightforward. I however am still unsure about apple’s performance. The new 3g iphone was great, but their still working out the kinks.

5. Jon says:

I have the opposite effect. I look at some new gadget and think, “who in the world needs one of those?” and soon everyone has one. That’s what I thought about cell phones when I saw the first one. One could pick stocks based on what I think is the silliest invention ever.

6. Cindy K says:

Apple’s symbol is AAPL on Nasdaq. I invested $500 in 1997 in Apple. It split twice and is worth about $9000.

7. Kristian says:

Your method for avoiding the penalties associated with ‘early adoption’ is clever and appreciated.
    I only wish I’d thought of it first!

8. Uri says:

This logic would also have led to you buying Countrywide stock because you took out a loan from them. What you’ve done is different than what Warren Buffet suggested and is bad advice unless you are looking for the gambling thrill. The problem is that you’re making an undiversified bet.

Without going into details about why this is a bad idea, invest your money in a well diversified portfolio instead. I like balanced funds (60/40 split) but you have to decide how much risk you want to take. You won’t turn $500 into $7k in 7 years but you also won’t have $0. Over that time frame there’s a pretty good chance that you’ll have $1k.

9. anonymous says:

You bought 1 share of apple stock?

Let’s say you had a transaction fee of $10. Now you’re automatically 5% in the hole.

10. hap says:

Uri: I think if you read the article, you’ll notice the author does most of his/her investing in low cost index funds. For all we know, $199 could be less than half a percent of his total portfolio.

Aside from that, these are small amounts, and he/she isn’t saying you’ll win every time, but they are simple trades based on a reasonably sound principle.

11. baselle says:

I do something similar. Whenever I have an urge for a Coke, I buy KO stock instead. I have a DRP account in KO, so I reinvest the dividends that the shares generate, and I incur minimal fees. Still have to pay taxes on the dividends, though. Helps with the diet!

12. Pingback: Carnival of Personal Finance #162 : Carnival of Personal Finance

13. Ash says:

This is a very interesting article. I am one of those guys who does not have a clue about investing, but knows it’s somehow good. I visited ETrade and it was so overwhelming! Any good guidelines on how to apply what the article spoke of for a totally new person?

14. Pingback: Awesome Investing Hack | Wise Money Matters

15. Subscriber says:

Written by: Rose-July 16, 2008 at 5:59 am

Rose, before you give your money to ANYONE to invest for you, please read the book:

Brokerage Fraud-What Wall Street Doesn’t Want You to Know by
    Tracy P. Stoneman & Douglas Schulz.

They are former securities arbitrators who point out all the minefields you are likely to encounter when dealing with brokerages. Save yourself time and money by educating yourself BEFORE you swim in these treacherous waters! Good luck.

Recommended reading:
    E. F. Moody.com-advice for those who know nothing about financial planning

16. Pingback: Growing Money » Blog Archive » Carnival of Personal Finance #162

17. Gail says:

I love your investing thoughts!

Another low cost investment company is Sharebuilders which is now associated with ING. You can invest for $4 per transaction whether you are putting in $10 or $1000. I personally use them and wait until I have $100 in the account before buying shares of anything.

18. Ash says:

Hi again!
    Well, I just read up more and still do not have much of a good idea. Any treads for total beginners?

19. S. Shugars says:

@ Ash

As I mentioned, almost all my investing is through low cost index funds. The individual money I put toward gadget stocks is “play money” – when I have the urge to try something different with extra money I have squirreled away. I would not recommend this as a primary investing strategy.

I have an Etrade account where I do my trading. If that is too complicated for you, I would start by going to a broker that can give you a bit more detail on how things work like Charles Schwab – then as you become comfortable, you can move to do it yourself. Visit you local library and start reading as well.

20. Pingback: Link Roundup: Hot Fun in the Summertime! | Counting My Pennies

21. Pingback: Monday Link Love « Are You Going To Be This Way The Rest of The Time I Know You?