Getting the Most Out of Coupons

organizing coupons

I frequently encounter people who don’t use coupons because they feel like it isn’t worth their time. If you’ve run the numbers and found this to be the case, I respect that. Coupon use, like all areas of personal finance, is a personal choice and not everyone will find it beneficial or to their liking.

However, I find that the “not worth my time” attitude is most often the case with people who clip only the occasional coupon and don’t take the time to really figure out how coupons work and how to get the most from them. Those of us who use them regularly understand their value and we’ve also learned how to get the most out of them. Here are some t

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Getting the Most Out of Coupons

1. Kimberly says:

This was a great article.. excellent tips.. I found myself nodding my head through the whole thing..

2. Alexandria says:

I have to say I am pretty much an occasional coupon clipper and even that is WELL worth the time.

We flip through the coupons in the weekend paper and in our junk mailings. I would say a few minutes a week saves us tens of dollars weekly. ($50/month? EASY).

It also pays to keep an eye out. With the current economy we notice a LOT more generous dining out coupons. Thus, we have been dining out way more than usual.

3. Shannon says:

To add to #1 & #2 — when I organize my coupons, I put them in their sections chronologically with the shortest expiration dates in front. It takes a bit more time to organize, but it saves a lot of time when weeding out the expired coupons — I only have to pull the first several in each section and can avoid going through all of them.

4. Jason H says:

I used to clip coupons because it was something my grandmother always did. Then I did the math and looked around the store.

Coupons are great if you love the name brand stuff, but I don’t. In fact most of what I buy is the ingredients for meals, not packaged garbage. You don’t find coupons for stone ground wheat flour or fresh carrots.

Instead of wasting my time with coupons, for those items that are even couponed (is that a word?), I just buy the generic brand or buy at Big Lots. My time is worth more than what I save using coupons.

5. Pingback: Monroe on a Budget » Saving Advice: Getting the most out of coupons

6. A Marino says:

Something that I do is to use 2 different envelopes. The first one is for coupons that will expire in the present month we’re in and also for the next month. I divide these coupons into food and non-food. So, for the present month, I will have 2 stacks of coupons ( 1 for food and 1 for nonfood. I try to sort them into cheeses, breads, maincourse, etc. In the next envelope, I put all coupons for the 3rd month to expire on and do the same by putting them into food and non food.

When I see items on sale, I always check the current month and next months envelope first. Also, by listing your food and nonfood makes it easier to look for what you need.

All I have to do is to throw out the current months coupons at the end of the month. This system has really worked for me.

7. Ray A. says:

Don’t forget to check out online coupon sites like zixxo.com or nearbythis.com

8. Topwaystosave says:

awesome article. It’s very true that not all coupons are great. So many people think just because they have a coupon they’re getting a great deal. That can be a big trap. The whole article was filled with great advice.

9. Myrna Garren says:

I hate messing with coupons. If the store would double or triple them I would probably use them. I know many people claim that they save them money. I keep an eyes on the grocery ads for buy I get I free. If i truly need the product and the price isn’t increased because of the offer I will buy something once in a while. I go thru the sense of guilt when I head about the savings that others make but I really hate dealing with coupons. I do use the weekly sales and I am almost a vegetarian so I do get items cheaper and I stock up. I’ve decided that since I hate them so much not to use them.

10. Pingback: Top 50 Frugality Blogs that Will Help You Save Money | Frugal Dad

11. Danni says:

This blog is an alternate look at saving money to the one that most people view. Most people do not appreciate coupons. This blog really explores and lies out how easy it is to save money with coupons. The numbered points really make it easy to identify where each person is going wrong with using coupons. Thanks for this helpful insight, I will defiantly be using some of these tips!