27 Free Things at the Library

It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of the library for the books they provide. But even I didn’t realize all the free resources and activities they have until I spent a week actively seeking out all they had to offer. I was surprised at how much I found and had to pinch myself often to remind myself that it was all free or extremely low cost. Of course I pay taxes to get these benefits, but since I have to pay taxes regardless, I’m happy to get something in return.

I live in a large metropolitan area, not a major metropolis, but a good sized city. If you live in a smaller area, your library may not have as many offerings but they probably have many things that would b

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to 27 Free Things at the Library

1. Lisa says:

I love my local library and the services they offer.

2. Julie Bestry says:

Excellent list of resources indicating our tax dollars are hard at work. Thanks for posting!

One more little bit: from an ambiance perspective, libraries offer a serene, quiet place to escape from the noise of modern life.

And air conditioning! When one’s air conditioning fails, the usual temptation is to go to the movies or the mall, icy locations that tempt us to spend even more money. The library offers a cool place for calm reflection, without any obligation to play consumer.

3. justme says:

I used to believe that all people had libraries until i moved here, we pay tax but not enough so because of my address I can only borrow one book at a time

most of the books are in spanish anyway not a language I speak or read and if you go there during the day it looks like a homeless shelter

next time i buy a house I will put check out the library on the list along with other things to check before I buy

save money by using the library is on every save money list I see,its hard to believe but not an option for everyone but if you have the option use it

4. Karen says:

Oh, I agree. My kids and I go to the library at least once a week. We leave each time with treasures in our hands. :)

5. I agree. The library is a great resource for free stuff. My kids and I go there for story/playtime. They have puppet shows and other entertainment for the kids too. They love it!

Erica

6. Jo says:

Thanks for the timely reminder of all the free resources on tap for us at our local libraries.

7. Pingback: The Library Isn’t Just for Books « Just Enough, and Nothing More

8. Gail says:

I stopped in at my local library the other day. Picked up a book for the author series I’m reading. They were also having a book sale and I walked out with 6 books for $8. I’m keeping 2 of them and the rest are up for sale on line. Selling any one of them will pay me back my money, so I’m building my personal sewing book collection, and making money.

I read all the latest books by my favorite authors because one of things my library does is prints up lists of when the book is coming out and you can put your name on the list and they will call you when it is your turn to get to read the book.

9. Osadg says:

I love reading, and I’ll confess I love the feeling of knowing I own my favorite books so I can pick them up any time I want to and start reading. But the library is my saving grace on all those expenses. I love reading, and I usually finish a book in a few days depending on how busy my schedule is. I only purchase books that I’ve received gift cards for, and books that I know I’m gauranteed to read a few times a year. The library covers everything else! Who really wants to own all those financial books anyway? :-)

10. projectlib says:

I agree with in this article
    Library is free for everyone

11. Pingback: 27 ?????????????????????? “???” « ProjectLib - Librarian 2.0

12. shelane says:

i love library,,excellent sources will find here,i stayed more in the library often in the net,,great place to study.

13. I love Zayn says:

Can you print stuff as well

14. Norma says:

In addition to all those services, my new library offers a Notary PUBLIC, fax, copying,change machine, etc. and also a box with FREE MANUFACTURERS COUPONS.You can bring your coupons if you like and take the ones you can use.

15. bellneice says:

What I generally find at my public library are a large number local elderly and mentally challenged individuals trying to get warm (in the winter) or cool (in the summer) or simply getting out of the house for the day. They doze in the chairs and at the tables, holding a newspaper. One mentally ill man actually believes he works there, goes around straightening chairs, and gets upset when people them. It is more like a bus station than a library. I would love to find out about the great services they offer, but it isn’t a pleasant atmosphere to even visit, let alone stay and find out about the various resources.