How to Cut Your Restaurant Bill in Half

I’ve recently discovered the joy of belonging to a special club that gives you discounts at restaurants of half off (and sometimes more). I want to share this saving opportunity with those who are not yet aware so they can save money at restaurants too. It doesn’t cost anything to join and it’s not a rewards system. It’s called the e-mail club. It’s actually not one club — it’s quite a few different clubs at different restaurants, but joining them can yield substantial savings.

Many restaurants have an option on their website to join their e-mail club. By entering your e-mail address and some information about yourself (mostly your zip code and

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to How to Cut Your Restaurant Bill in Half

1. Missy says:

Email clubs are great for a lot of other discounts, too. Department stores, drug stores, even some products! If you can think of something you could really use a coupon for, it’s worth searching out!

2. disneysteve says:

Good information. We’ve signed up for the e-mailing list for Buca de Bepo and are frequently getting coupons for discounts.

I also signed up at the Van Heusen outlet and got a $10 off coupon for joining and another $10 off coupon after my first purchase (made the day I joined). So on my next trip, I bought 2 shirts and saved $10 on each.

3. Alexandria says:

With the economy so bad where we live we have been getting a lot of buy one get one free coupons in the mail. Even for weekends (which is usually not the norm).

So I have to add, look through all your junk e-mail.

Definitely way better coupons than the run of the mill, lately. As such we have been eating out a lot more.

4. Alexandria says:

P.S. Thank for the tip though! I will check out the e-mail clubs.

5. Michelle says:

Restaurant.com sells printable gift certificates for dining at reduced prices. Check for online deals before leaving to dine.These certificates also make good gifts. A $50 certificate (Your cost $10) in a greeting card with $20 to meet the minimum purchase makes giving a generous gift affordable.

6. Ann says:

The non-monetary savings of eating out–dishes, cook time/time with family, general clean up, leftovers–has always been in conflict with the monetary savings of eating at home. This idea at least makes eating out a bit more guilt free.

7. Steven says:

I signed up Friday at a local restaurant for their loyalty club. The application was tucked in the leather jacket along with my bill. I filled it out and answered the customer service questionaire. By golley, I got one meal free and paid for the other meal. It costs nothing to join and I paid for dinner with my Amtrak Mastercard so I got train miles, too.

8. consumer_q says:

Dairy Queen sends me an email every month for a buy, get one free blizzard via: http://www.blizzardfanclub.com/

9. Save For House says:

I live in the SF Bay Area and really like a restaurant here called Daphne’s (Greek Food). They have a “Pita Points” club which I recommend. You get 1 point for every dollar you spend and get $10 off for having 200 points. This basically means you’re getting 5% cash back. If you eat there a lot (like myself), it’s a winning situation. I like to think I’m actually getting 6.5% back because I combine the Pita Points rebate with the points I get on my credit card as well (Amex Blue Cash).

Another place I like to eat is Baja Fresh (Mexican Grill). They are currently offering a $2 off coupon that they give to their customers periodically. I go there so much, the friendly cashier gave me a handful of them last time so I’m excited to be able to save $2 each time for the next few trips. These savings really add up over time and make my lunch break a lot more enjoyable.

10. Cheryl Cavender says:

I signed up for an email newsletter for the restaurant my daughter was going to for prom. The restaurant sent me an email coupon for a free appetizer. They weren’t too embarrassed to use it. Actually her date was impressed. It saved them about $11.

11. Alan says:

Ditto on restaurant.com On a same note, overstocks.com is another site for discounts and my own shopping site has a rewards program that gives you points towards future purchases.

12. Nancy says:

I just want to tell you all you are mean, you made me hungry now for a blizzard,grrrrr….lol. jk
    Ps. Disneysteve, I see you everywhere I go …lol

13. TopWaysToSave says:

I wrote an article similar to this on my site. There are so many restaurants right now giving discounts to get people in the doors. Many also have kids eat free nights which can be good if you have a larger family. I’ve seen Bugaboo creek do that. Pizzeria Uno’s and TGI Fridays also have nice programs to reward frequent diners too. Its obviously cheaper to just stay home, but when you do want to go out get the best deal possible. Also try and cut back on the drinks. Most restaurants make a lot of their money from them since they’re so heavily marked up.

14. Pingback: How to cut your Restaurant bill in half. « iGotLunch - Daily Lunch Coupons