The Greatest Frugal Generation

spoon windchimes

This week I attended the funeral of an old family friend. This man was a member of the “Greatest Generation,” growing up during the Great Depression and coming of age during WWII. Aside from his stories, the thing that always amazed me about this man was his ability to construct the most useful items from things that I would have thrown away. It was like knowing MacGyver. Give him some string, glue, buttons, and bottle caps and he could probably make jewelry that would be picked up by Tiffany’s.

His most famous creation was a wind chime made from nothing but some old wire, copper pipe leftover from a plumbing job, and some bits of broken glass. It was just a simple wind c

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to The Greatest Frugal Generation

1. wealthman says:

You have perfectly shown what the problem is when it comes to being frugal:

“He lived a very simple life and, as a result, died a very wealthy man.”

Why would anyone want to die wealthy? That means that they did not use their money while they were alive to do all the things that they wanted to do. Sure, you may want to leave your family some money once you die, but you don’t want to leave them huge amounts. The reason to have money is to spend it and make your life better not to save it so that the newspapers and your friends can say you “died wealthy”

2. James says:

The point of dying wealthy is to pass the cash onto your heirs, thats the WHOLE point. Saying the “reason to have money is to spend it and make your life better” implies that the point of having money is to spend it – and that type of thinking is the part of problem with Americas consumer economy.

3. dean says:

I think that the current economic turmoil will make a lot of people learn basic frugality. Hard times come with valuable lessons

4. pinky says:

Just because someone dies wealthy doesn’t mean they didn’t spend money on themselves. It just means that they took good care of their money.

5. Nancy says:

I think that there has to be a happy medium, when it comes to being frugal, and spending for pleasure.
    We need to be responsible, and save, but not to the point where saving becomes the “be all, end all”.
    The sad thing about dying wealthy, is that your heirs will probably blow all of the money you worked so hard to save!

6. ben says:

I’m spending all my money before I die – I earned it and I will use it. My kids already know not to expect any inheritance because when I retire, I plan to have the time of my life!

7. xinecho says:

I think the most important thing is to make balance between saving and spending. Saving too much or spending more than you need are not the best choice.

8. Lori says:

But the point of this article seems to be that this gentleman lived a full, complete, wonderful life without NEEDING all the trappings of materialistic goods. He had the time of his life without wanting to spend excess money, through nature, family and friends. Being frugal doesn’t have to mean being miserly or miserable, as the author demonstrated. I hope to be able to reach the end of my life with the same priorities and skills as the authors’ friend. I’m sure that he is sorely missed by all who knew him.

9. Shannon says:

What a wonderful eulogy! You are very blessed to have known such a person. My parents grew up in the Depression, but even they seem to have forgotten some of these frugal skills, which are certainly a dying art.

10. Pingback: The Simple Dollar » The Simple Dollar Weekly Roundup: Flying Costs Come Home to Roost Edition

11. mjukr says:

Spend money on experiences, not “stuff!”

12. Jacinda says:

That was wonderful. I think you pointed out the heart of being frugal. It’s about being content with what you have and finding joy in the simple things-like the joy your friend found in eating ice cream. Thanks for sharing.

13. I wish I could convince my hubby to live with less. I think if we would agree to try that we’d both be better off.

My great grandmother was of that generation and saved EVERYthing to the point we teased her about it. But by golly she found a use for almost everything too. Run in a nylon? Don’t throw it away. It makes a great tool for tying veggies or flowers.

Your friend sounds a lot like my great-grandma. :)

14. Katy McKenna says:

Your friend sounds like an excellent role model. He evidently did not feel deprived in any way. He enjoyed his life. It’s just that he learned early on to be happy with little in the material sense.

I sometimes worry than anyone from the Boomers on down might be nearly incapable of really understanding the difference between true needs and wants–and largely unwilling to tackle acquiring the types of skills your friend developed. Maybe I’m wrong—I hope so. I fear we may need those skills again some day!

15. mark says:

Thank you for sharing this story with us! Beautiful and inspirational! Thank you!

16. peg says:

My husband and I save quite a bit. And yes this generation does try to be frugal but not like the greatest generation. My goal is not to die a wealthy person but to have lived life to the fullest with my family. I work full time as does my husband and i think we should enjoy some fruits of our labor.

17. Leonard says:

Great article. The sweetness of life is not in the toys but in the joys of relationships and the simple pleasures of the “ice cream”, a warm evening filled with stars and waking to the sunshine in the morning.
    As I lay dying in my bed with my kids holding my hand I hope to say “it is all ($) gone.” Live life without great material expectations.

18. RyuRabbit says:

I am generation X and I live the way your friend did. I’m not as good aat it but I try to reuse or recycle everything. I have learned that somethings are just not worth my time to fix. I used to try to fix everything but I would end up having a garage full of stuff. Now I buy tools to repair stuff that has resale value or is worth my time. If you cant save at least your regular hourly wage repairing it then you can find more prosperous ways to spend your time.

19. Jay says:

Jennifer,
    This is a beautiful post. Very well written and I’m guessing the main reason you wrote it was to pay homage to a man you admired after his passing. You’ve certainly done a fantastic job and I agree with you 100%, younger generations have lost a lot of the frugality and financial wisdom that define our older generations. We’ve never really had to go through a depression so it’s hard to imagine what it would have been like to try to stretch every dime and every resource so far. Hopefully our current economic mini-disaster will wake a lot of people up, especially those governing our country. We can’t go on spending more than we make forever, right? That seems to be the new American way.
    Anyway, I’ll quit rambling, just wanted to say brilliant post and let’s see some more!
    Jay

20. Em. says:

“… check out this post by Jennifer at Personal Finance Advice …”

21. Carol says:

That old man had the right idea. I come from Asia and I was shocked when I first came to America. There are so much waste here.

I have since planted a garden that consist of fruits, potatoes, rhubarbs and any other edible that I can find. I live in the North East so it is pretty hard to get food grown in the winter, but, during summer we have so much fruits and veggies that we don’t really need to go to the stores to get them.

I buy bulk and I like shopping at the thrift stores for neccesities. I also cook our meals from scratch including pizzas, tortilla, marshmallow and anything that tickle our fancy. No package meals for us.

Our family of 3 is able to live comfortably on $24,000 a year including our house loan which amounts to $12,000 annually. We even manage to build up a healthy nest egg just in case we needed it.

We spend more money during winter because of heat but insulation goes a long way in cutting down our bills.

I save everything because in Asia we are taught to not waste anything. I am trying to instill this in our son and so far it is working. He is 5 and he can recite the 3 R’s – reduce, reuse and recycle. And he puts every container he eats from into the sink so that I can wash it and use it again.

Maybe the next generation will get back to basics and learn to use their imagination again instead of their money.

22. Susan says:

This is a beautiful eulogy in memory of your friend; thank you for this. I just posted the WWII motto on my cube wall as a reminder to myself to utilize every drop, shred or bit of whatever is available to me. I’ve known several people of his generation (my grandparents) with similar resourceful abilities. What is surprising in the activity, which requires little, if any expense, is the joy of the creating something new from something used. It truly is one of the most pleasurable and engaging forms of entertainment that I have found. I hope our generation can pass on some of what we’ve learned from our predecessors and infuse this thinking into our children as well. Thanks again for the excellent message.

23. debbie says:

Fabulous article. Very well written. Moving and inspiring.

24. Missy says:

Beautiful story! It reminds me of my grandparents.

I grew up hovering just above truly poor, and saw a lot of

25. George says:

This is a fantastic memorial to a fantastic man.

26. Pingback: Festival of Frugality #131 - Summer Savings Edition — Broke Grad Student

27. Ruth says:

This lovely man was living a spiritual life and he probably didn’t realise it. He was a teacher and probably influenced everyone who came into contact with him. So many comments about all the money he left, if you cant see beyond $ then you probably wont understand what this lovely man was all about. I would have loved to have known him, and i think i would have been privileged if i had.