Does Financial Success Equal A Decline in Civility?

financial success

Maybe it’s just where I live or the places I go, but I have noticed in the past several years that, no matter the situation, the level of rudeness has increased. Whether it’s a the grocery store or an athletic event, it seems that more and more people are tossing civility out the window. Some people seem to go out of their way to be mean to each other, and others treat everything as a competition. They feel like they have to get the better of you, no matter the cost or whether what they’re gaining is even worth it.

After a woman cursed me out in the grocery store the other day for daring to move her cart half a foot so I could reach an item (she was way down at the other

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Relationships and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Does Financial Success Equal A Decline in Civility?

1. Annie Jones says:

You wrote “Our success has isolated us from one another and made it easier to disregard others.”

Instead of our success, I would have said that technology has isolated us from one another.

Either way, I think it’s this isolation that has bred the rampant rudeness in our society.

Good article.

2. Mk says:

Good article, thank you.

I think we all have bad days and sometimes take it out on some random, innocent person. It’s happened to me and feel bad once I catch myself doing it.

Having said that, there are those that think being rude/feeling entitled/displaying bad manners is ok. We need to step back and realize that children take cues from their parents/adults and so we are doing ourselves a disservice by role modeling bad behavior.

3. wealthman says:

I don’t get it. Why would being wealthy have anything to do with being uncivil?

4. EvieD says:

I have had wealthier people (sorry BUT generally you can tell the haves from the have nots) be just as rude as poorer people.

There is nothing worse than politely saying “excuse me” if/when someone is blocking your way and they turn and look at you as if you are sheet beneath their shoes.

I have said repeatedly that one of these days, instead of excuse me, I am simply going to say get the *F* out of my way! Why not? If I am going to get a dirty look, I might as well make it count.

5. Lisa says:

I’m only 47 but in the 60′s you were polite for many reasons. One my parents would punish us if we weren’t. Two there was someone home to punish us, mom then later in the day, dad. Three, when you live in a community that depends on each other you can be excluded and lose your job if you couldn’t control your household (they would find a way to get rid of you, jobwise). Four, it was an accepted society norm. It wasn’t all about me and what I want and makes me feel good. It was unacceptable to mainstream society to act rude. We were taught that society would become violent and out of control without appropriate behavior.

6. dean says:

This seems to me to be one of those “when I was young things were better” articles. It also seems like a poor way to stereotype people since being rude has nothing to do with money.

7. F. Hart says:

Wonderful commentary, thank you.

8. laura says:

Money does corrupt and make people less civil. When people get money, they think that the money can replace common courtesy. They think flashing a $100 allows them to be rude. I find it all rather disgusting.

9. Monika says:

Great article.
    We’ve all been there, done that, successful or not.
    I agree that money currupts and makes people less civil, but I would say lack of money and envy is even worse.

10. bilks says:

Ther has been a general decline in civility overall. I’m not sure if money is the sole reason for this, but I can see how it could be a contributing factor.

11. Gail says:

I’ve noticed that people seem ruder lately and so I go out of my way to not be rude and to be cheery. To be sure that when someone opens a door for me that I say thank you so that they can hear, especially if it is a child I want them to know I appreciate it and to encourage them to continue. I walk with a cane and it amazes me how indifferent people are to disabled people, pushing through doors and letting it slam in my face, etc. I feel sorry for them having no manners or such a bad day that they can’t take a minute to be kind to someone else.

12. Edith says:

I moved to a small town where people are polite as opposed to the large city I came from where rude people were every where . Yet in my neighborhood they remain isolated . My husband and I have tried to have neighborhood block partie’s no one is interested . We feel if we know our neighbors we can look out for each other in case of trouble . If you go online you can easily find convicted felons living near you . I think this is a contributing factor to the disconnect . We just don’t know if our neighbor’s are trust worthy . Who knows when some one will snap ?? It is also a sign of moral polution when manners break down and people become rude . Something is spiritually rotten and a sign that we are living in a post Christian era . Do unto others as you would have them do unto you .

13. Carlos Arias says:

Excellent article buddy. I agree with you in many ways, and sometimes also wonder how much better life quality would be in our society if ethics and human values were given the importance they deserve in the educational process. We need to teach our future generations to care for the human being and see the entire world