Quit Complaining About Fuel Prices and Do Something

peak oil

I’ve officially reached my limit for how much complaining about oil prices I can take. Maybe it’s because I write for Saving Advice, but I suddenly have people coming out of the woodwork complaining to me about high gas and food prices. Today a friend sent along another one of those emails urging me to refuse to buy gas on a certain day in order to “teach the oil companies a lesson.” This is a close cousin to the email that goes around urging me to boycott the big three oil companies. Neither method will be effective, for several reasons. Briefly (I know you’ve probably heard it before, but it bears repeating if for no other reason than to stop these annoying e

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Quit Complaining About Fuel Prices and Do Something

1. anonymous says:

“try letting your Congressmen know that you

2. diane says:

It’s easy for people who have enough money to pay for gas to say not to complain, but when you have to choose between a healthy meal and getting to work, I think a little complaining is justified.

3. Alexandria says:

Amen. In the past few years this stuff has driven me crazy. Because my friends were complaining endlessly about gas while driving SUVs and Hummers. Seriously.

At least lately I see people making an effort. The same people are selling the gas hogs and even carpooling. Boy, how thing change… They are doing all the things that were so beneath them just a couple of years ago.

I guess I have hope that these gas prices are the wake up call that people need.

4. Jay Gatsby says:

I actually like the fact that we have high gas prices. High commodity prices spurn development of cheaper alternatives. In the case of oil, the alternatives have the added benefit of being environmentally-friendly. Therefore, we’re not only weaning ourselves off of economic dependency on unstable/unfriendly countries, but we’re reducing global warming.

The process will take time, and we’ll need to deal with the associated costs for a while.

5. gotgold says:

Simple solution. I enforced rationing at home. I know the govt doesn’t do it but, being an american is all about self-discipline. The gas tank will be filled, two times a month. Accomodate all schedules around it.

6. benny says:

While I feel for the working poor, I say let gas prices go up to $10 a gallon. While it will hurt short term, it will finally make other energy options worth investing in. Technology should bring down prices over time well below what we currently pay for gas plus give us a lot more option on better mileage transportation. Sometimes short term tough love can yield positive results in the long term.

7. nance says:

Or, we could start drilling for the oil we have in this country and stop depending on foreign oil sources.
    Yes, alternative sources of energy will be great, but it isn’t going to be practical for decades. Now, we could be drilling in this country!!!

8. Michael Lewis says:

It will take years before alternative fuels become practical!

Neither party has the solution. Republicans are wrong on the war and Democrats are wrong on domestic production. The people need to choose:
    END THE WAR & DRILL FOR DOMESTIC OIL

A rapidly devaluing dollar, aggravated by the cost of the War in Iraq, contributes to recent rapid increases in the price of gas. And if the trillion plus dollars the US spent fighting that war had been invested in a Manhattan like project to produce oil from known reserves in the Gulf of Mexico, the Continental shelf and synthetic diesel/gas from America

9. trendfollower says:

You can also invest in energy to reduce the impact. There are many new securities that let you invest in the underlying energy commodities such as crude oil (USO) and natural gas (UNG).

10. Oh Brother says:

to #2 Diane, complaining is only justitied when there can be results, but constantly whining about high gas pricing serves no purpose but to show that you are ignorant and would rather bitch and moan than do something about it. everyone, we need to stop the forwarding of gas boycotts and other wasteful emails by replying to our friends and tell them they are pathetic fools. after some name calling the complaints do warrant less forwards.

11. consumer_q says:

“It will take years before alternative fuels become practical!…END THE WAR & DRILL FOR DOMESTIC OIL”

It will likely take many more years to find and drill domestic oil for it to be a practical solution.

12. Meg says:

I’ve cut back my gas consumption, though it’s tough because I didn’t drive much more than I had to to begin with (I hate driving). For my family out in the country it’s a lot harder. My mom takes a friend to dialysis out of town every other day. They’re both on very fixed, very low incomes so it hurts — but what can they do? There isn’t public transportation there!

Yes, people can make changes. And every bit counts. However, what’s wrong with complaining? People are hurting and frustrated. Let them rant without feeling worse about it. Most of the time you don’t have to listen if it bothers you that much. Goodness knows, I need to vent every now and then, too (and my friends do the same, so it’s not one way). And you know what, I feel better afterwards.

Besides, it’s possible to do something and complain, after all.

13. michel says:

I think this is a well written article. It’s true that we need to find ways Ourselves to control what we can.

I think though that another alternative would be to try to get our congressman to pass a tax incentive for businesses that let more people telecommute from home.

In an age where people are “accessible” 24/7 there is no reason why a vast majority of workes can’t telecommute from home.

14. Jeff says:

the only way alternative energies will be explored and brought to market, is if the government gets the hell out of the way and lets the market work. It needs to stop subsidizing oil so that there is incentive to move to new and better technologies. The more the government tampers with the market with subsidies and regulation, the further from energy independence we will become.

15. willdog40 says:

the only thing that will effect the future demand is POPULATION CONROL in the USA , which is NEVER going to happen.
    POPULATION has more than DOUBLED the last 40 years , when we had no problems of this magnitude ,and 40 years from now….i’m am sorry to say this BUT , i’m glad i’m not going to be here to see what is happening next.
    sometime soon , someone has to do something , the ever shrinking farmland problem will be next , think food is high now ,wait until the prime farm land dwindles 10 fold.

16. Anon says:

Here in the UK, as of 11 June 2008, petrol is about

17. Pete says:

Finally, an article that makes sense, that doesn’t imply some sort of entitlement. Stop blaming the oil companies and speculators. If you’re serious, write your congress people and demand a mandatory 50 MPH speed limit on the interstates. Blah, Blah, “I can’t drive 55″, complain, cry, etc. The choice is yours: conserve the supply or get ready for $12/gallon in the next few years.

18. Pete says:

@ UK anon:

Even though it is done often, you cannot compare the US and European countries beause of one word: scale. It is not uncommon in the USA for folks to commute 72 kilometers to their jobs, one way. Because of the way our cities have built out (overtaking inexpensive land) in the past, folks have sought out these newer communities, with new appliances, and fewer urban problems with the assumption that solo transportation in their vehicles would never be a problem or obstacle. Because of that scale problem I mentioned, it will never be cost-effective to build a fully usable public transportation system, like you have in Europe. I can envision a “return to the cities” movement returning here in the USA but it’s going to take 20-30 years. Until then, the people living in the outlying areas will be suffering because that assumption didn’t hold true.

19. Pingback: Carnival of Personal Finance #157: Third Anniversary Edition - Consumerism Commentary: A Personal Finance Blog

20. andrew says:

only thing u can do is drive smart, and do the repairs that you u need to keep ur car in good shape, one more thing, throw away ur 12+ years old car, the repair and gas will make u mad.

21. David says:

Oil prices should stay sky high, infact, they should go higher to make Americans change their attitudes and realize that they don’t deserve the best of everything. I personally hope they’ll go higher, then maybe there won’t be as many lifted trucks doing 90+ on the freeway, suv’s acting like they own the road, and these people will get a clue. I get between 40 and 50 miles per gallon with my car and don’t feel the slightest bit sorry for the majority of americans that have gas problems as I can get a return on over 10 miles for each dollar of gasoline that I put in, even when gas is up to $4.60/gallon. Let the gas prices skyrocket!

22. Pingback: Enough with the complaints about gas prices already - Smart Spending

23. TopWaysToSave says:

I also think that yes its rough that gas prices are high. I agree that hopefully this does wake up people. There have been heavily poluting low gas mileage SUV’s for too long now. I’d walk to work and see 10-15 sometimes in a rough before I saw one car. Now is the time to look at what we use and learn to save more and get more out of what we have.

24. gary moore says:

there no shortage

25. Harry says:

Those of us who live in cold areas and have to heat our homes with oil aren’t making a minor kvetch about a few extra dollars at the pump. For many of us, high oil prices aren’t a matter of driving less, but trying not to have frozen pipes in the winter and trying to keep our children warm. For shame, people who are calling for $10/gallon gas!

26. Dan says:

Best way to save on fuel – work closer to home. What do you think of swapping jobs to work closer to home? http://www.greenjobswap.com