The Financial Challenge of Jury Duty

jury duty

This week I got sucked into jury duty. The last time I did it I was very young and didn’t really care about giving up a whole day to sit in a courtroom for just a few dollars. Heck, at that age they could have given me anything and I would have thought it a windfall. I actually enjoyed that first time. I thought it was great fun to sit in a courtroom and listen to the lawyers and watch the people. At the time I couldn’t see why so many people go to great lengths to get out of jury duty. Now that I’m older, however, I see the problem.

Jury service, while a responsibility that goes along with citizenship in this country, simply does not pay enough to make it tolerable for m

This entry was posted in Personal Finance and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Financial Challenge of Jury Duty

1. shraz says:

Well in CA I found that:
    In accordance with California Civil Procedures, Section 215, jurors are paid $15.00 a day commencing on the second day of service, plus mileage compensation of .034 cents per mile, one way.

2. GL says:

I’ll just play the devil’s advocate here, but if you over-compensate the jurors, wouldn’t you have the exact opposite? I.e., people would only go there for the money and wouldn’t care about the case. Kind of like the proposed reform in Arizona a couple of years ago – they wanted to encourage people to vote by raffling off a $1,000,000 prize. If you vote, you’re entered. It was an interesting proposal, but thankfully, it got killed. :)

That said, I agree with your basic point. But then again, I’ve never done the jury duty before, so I want to see what all the noise is about. :D

3. Karen says:

I also think that too many jurors are excluded from the process. I’ve been called for jury duty a few times in my life, and most of the time, it hasn’t been a big problem, financially. But every time, I’ve been excluded from the jury – I was never given a reason but I never had any direct conflict with the case or particular feelings about the crime involved. Maybe because I’m a scientist? I’d be happy to serve on a jury, but if being a chemist always excludes you, just leave me off the list, please?

I also wonder if there’s some way to choose a time to serve. You’d have to be careful about conflicts, but for example, I was unemployed for a couple of months last year, and that would have been a perfect time for me to serve on jury duty. Self employed people might have certain times of the year when it would be less onerous, etc.

4. Saving Freak says:

Lawyers do not want people that can think for themselves. They want individuals that can be molded into their line of thinking. So if you want to not be picked just make sure you look and act smarter than all the people around you.

5. Miranda says:

Great points about jury duty. I’m really torn on this one. On the one hand, I wonder why we should be compensated for what should be our civic duty. On the other hand, lost wages are a very real issue. $75 – $100 a day plus mileage might be a good compromise. It may not seem like a lot, but I think it is reasonable, even though I bring substantially more than that each day.

Also, one could take into account how long the trial lasts. Perhaps after a week the per diem goes up by $25. And then it goes up $5-$10 a day each week after that.

6. xinecho says:

I think I got the point the author express and know something about jury duty. But what jury duty is ? We don’t have this system in China and I’m interested in it. Could someone explain it for me?

7. steve says:

They should have professional juries in my opinion.

8. I wonder what would happen if I was called up? I couldn’t possibly get someone else to run my business for me. I would like the experience of doing it though.

9. Jeff says:

“They should have professional juries in my opinion.”

you’re kidding right?

You won’t think that when you need a fair jury on your side.

10. Pingback: Carnival of Personal Finance #150

11. KATHY says:

BECAUSE MY HUSBAND HAS TO DUE JURY DUTY THIS WEEK MY KIDS WON’T GET MUCH FOR CHRISTMAS i WAS GOING TO BUY GIFTS WITH THIS WEEKS PAY NOW I WON’T HAVE ANY EXTRA MONEY AND WILL NOT EVEN BE ABLE TO PAY FOR FOOD AND MY HEATING BILL. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO US .

12. Bjahnsen says:

Tort Reform!

Punitive damages should be put into a special fund to pay jurors instead of being given to plaintiffs. Pay jurors based on their annual incomes with a cap of say $500 per day.

You’ll not only decrease frivolous lawsuits from money-grubbing lawyers but you’ll increase the likelihood of getting a good intelligent jury full of a wide variety of citizens.

13. Sandra says:

I’m in AR. I’m glad to hear we get 50$ LOL…but it still won’t do me a bit of good. I have three young children. 20$ a day per child= 60$. It is 35$ if you aren’t seated but only have to watch. Which sucks even more. It will not cover my daycare costs. What sucks even more on top of our financial hurt is that I exclusively breastfeed my infant. I don’t know how she will do with a bottle. Will she take one? I don’t know. Will she scream and cry because mommy isn’t there to hold her, feed her, play with her. It won’t be the money that bothers me while I’m sitting in the jury box. It will be my worrying about whether or not my baby is crying for her mommy. Can’t say I will give my full attention to court when I have the heart ache of knowing someone else is caring for my little one’s and won’t know how to best take care of my child.

14. Sandra says:

oh and I agree with Karen about being able to choose when you wish to serve jury duty. If I could choose I would much prefer school times and after my infant is at least one year old.

15. bryan says:

here in washing ton it’s 40 a day and after the 10th day it’s 50, but i would have to drive 133 miles (one way) at the shortest distance and pay for hotels and food even though i don’t have the money in the first place.

16. Kenn says:

I just wanna say, before I finish reading this. As a resident of Arkansas, I’m looking to see if/what any counties pay for jury duty, but do want to make a note as well. At the time this article was written, I believe minimum wage was just starting to increase from 5.15/hr to 6.25 and eventually now to 7.25/hr to if I recall, “catch up to other states”. If pay was around 50/day during 2008 or even before, most residents would consider themselves lucky to make that.

17. Michelle says:

I live in Arkansas. My situation is that my husband who makes around $129 a day and is on call to repair ATMs for 2 consecutive weeks out of every 4 weeks got the papers to return about jury duty got those papers 3 times in the past year. so we would be LOSING approximately $79 per day and $120 on the paycheck that covers the 2 weeks that he is on call to repair ATMs if he actually went to jury duty. Each time, he sent it back stating that he is an armored car guard and the fact that he is on call for ATM repair for 2 consecutive weeks out of every 4 weeks and ended up being exempted each time, not sure whether it was the armored car guard bit or the ATM bit that did it. The worst thing of this is that I do not work due to physical disabilities (tried working in August 2010 and had to quit due to my physical disabilities after less than a week, tried again in December 2010 and ended up in the hospital for 3 days and having to quit because the doctors could not figure out what caused me to pass out at work but did not want me to try again for fear of a longer hospital stay or worse and now Ticket to Work has also told me to quit trying to work for the same reason!) so a call up to jury duty for me would NET us $50 a day and would not cost us extra because we have no children, just 5 cats and 1 fish that basically only require care twice a day each. With the loss of income if my husband actually went to jury duty, we would not be able to pay our bills or pay for gas for him to get to work once his jury duty ended or pay for food, etc, however, if they were to call me instead, I would gladly attend jury duty (would provide needed mental stimulation and would be within my physical limitations since I would not be asked to move things around or stand for long periods or walk for long periods) and would not be worrying about paying my bills etc because the money for MY jury duty time would be gravy (over and above the money that I need to pay for bills, food, automobile gas, etc). So, it makes no sense that my husband got jury duty papers that many times in such a short period of time when NO ONE ELSE I know even got those papers EVEN ONCE.

18. daniel says:

Shouldn’t jury duty be paid at federal minimum wage standards. Is there a federal law that exempts paying jurors minimum wage for there work. Even if the state sets jury pay if it’s in conflict with federal law then doesn’t federal law prevail ?