Free (Or Nearly Free) Entertainment For Every Week of the Year

bookstore reading

A lot of people ask me: “If you don’t watch TV and you choose to limit movies, clubs, restaurants, etc. in order to save money, what do you do for entertainment? Aren’t you bored?” I usually look at them, dumbfounded, because to me there is too much to do and boredom is never a problem. I have never had a problem finding free or very inexpensive entertainment. However, I understand that those who are used to relying on “prepackaged” entertainment may have a problem at first identifying all the fun, free things there are to do in and around their communities. When I first turned frugal I wasn’t aware of all the things I could do, but I’ve learn

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Free (Or Nearly Free) Entertainment For Every Week of the Year

1. Will says:

Wow! What an extensive list.

I run a personal finance blog myself but I haven’t had many posts (if any at all) on the subject of frugality. Not that I don’t know how important it is, but it’s just not my strongest attribute :)

This list will be my guide :)

2. Jenni says:

Check the newspaper, here a couple times a year different artists get together an arts fair. Different ethnic groups have doings, so you can learn about different cultures, and try new foods while you are attending one of them. Bike trails, for walks or just bike riding. Zanbroz, a bookstore here, brings in authors for book signing and readings. You don’t have to buy a book, to listen to the reading and ask questions. And there are statues that have been donated to the city all over town, with a phamphlet to walk around to see all of them. I just found your blog, and enjoy all I have been reading and learning here.

3. Pingback: Frugality Is Often Plain Old Common Sense » Your Finish Rich Plan

4. Trent Hamm says:

Also, check city hall. Ask if there’s a community calendar available. It’s basically a giant list of free or nearly free stuff to do in your town.

5. ThriftoRama says:

Funny. I don’t have cable TV and my sister’s friends are fascinated. They always stare at me wide eyed and ask “aren’t you bored?” “What do you do all night?”

I have to look at them wide eyed and think “You don’t have anything else to do but watch TV?”

6. ben says:

It’s amazing the amount of stuff that you can do that doesn’t cost a lot when you spend a little time looking for it. We have become so lazy that many can’t even be bothered doing that. Break out of your old routine and do something different. It’s amazing how much it can put a spark back into life.

7. gina says:

This would make an excellent calendar. I always have a hard time coming up with new ideas so this should help me out a lot. Thank you.

8. pinkrose says:

How do you convince a boyfriend that it is ok to do things like this? My boyfriend thinks he’ll look cheap if he takes me to places that don’t cost a lot of money. I keep telling him that it’s the time spent together that matters, but he has real trouble with this. Any suggestions?

9. Kim says:

We go to Movies in the Park in our town, co-sponsored by City Parks Dept and a couple of local businesses. Family friendly movies, free admission, free popcorn, and 75 cent concessions. There are plenty of ideas out there, you just have to research your area.

10. silver fox says:

Your list is excellent. And not watching TV frees up quite a bit of time for *real* entertainment.

11. scfr says:

Lovely entry!

But you forgot “visit Savingadvice.com” ;)

12. Pingback: Best of the Festival of Frugality | Value For Your Life

13. Pingback: When Staying In Becomes More Expensive Than Going Out - SavingAdvice.com Blog

14. Beth says:

What great ideas! I just graduated and slowly adjusting to paying for bills and rent on my own, which means that my entry level job pay doesn’t leave me with a whole lot of money to have fun with.

This list definitely will help ease some of my boredom.

15. Cindy M says:

Wow, thanks, excellent work, looks like you’ve covered it all. I also believe entertainment should cost you next to nothing, just your imagination. I think the libraries in particular are a godsend.

16. Pingback: Debt Free By Any Means Necessary - The Do It Yourself Option » Your Finish Rich Plan - A Personal Finance Blog

17. Pingback: Should We Cut Out Entertainment During Difficult Financial Times? - SavingAdvice.com Blog

18. Pingback: Feeling Better Without Spending a Lot of Money - SavingAdvice.com Blog

19. Gregg says:

World of Warcraft is only $15 per month. It has saved me tons of money as I was dining out every evening with top-shelf drinks — sometimes as much as $80.00 just for myself in one evening. After only two years, my then maxed-out credit cards are paid off. I’m debt free and have a comfortable savings in the bank. I thank World of Warcraft for making this difference in my life.