32 Reasons to Be Frugal Besides Saving Money

I’m frequently asked why I choose to be frugal. Is it all about saving money? My answer is always, “No, it’s not all about saving money, although that’s a nice side effect.” Saving money tends to be the driving reason behind why many people turn to a frugal lifestyle (and it was for me, in the beginning). But after being frugal for a while, most people find that there are additional reasons to stick with this lifestyle, beyond the monetary savings. So what are some of the other reasons people pursue a frugal lifestyle? If you’re thinking about going frugal, here are some of the additional reasons to consider.

It simplifies your record keeping

When youR

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to 32 Reasons to Be Frugal Besides Saving Money

1. Will says:

Wow! I never thought of it like that. I’ll admit that when it comes to money I’ve historically fallen into the impulsive buyer category. It took me a while to realize how destructive a path that was, and start turning things around. The whole frugal concept has been sort of a turnoff for me. You’ve given me a new perspective on it. Thanks!

2. Mia says:

Wonderful writing!

3. liz says:

great points!

4. benh says:

I really enjoyed this. I think that there is so much focus on money that we forget about all the non monetary benefits that being frugal can bring.

It also shows that there is a huge difference between being frugal and cheap which a lot of people equate together.

5. Ceejay74 says:

Great article! I loved how you pointed out so many different philosophies (religion, animal rights, healthy living) that frugality can fit in with and even enhance.

6. diane says:

Anything that improves my sex life I’m all for!!!

I find that I actually cringe when people call me frugal because most people have a negative view of it. Do others see the same thing?

This goes a long way to give me ammunition on giving responses when people say that I’m frugal with that disapproving tone I too often hear. Thank you.

7. Miranda says:

It’s really sad that what was once considered a virtue in our society (frugality) has become a “dirty word.” This post, though, I think, makes a good case for bringing society back into a mindset that enough really IS enough.

8. deepend says:

I like #5 the best and I think it’s so true. In a consumer driven society, being content and having gratitude seems to be something that is missing from so many people. I think everyone would do great wonders to the health and life if they slowed down a bit and practiced those two things.

9. trex says:

I don’t buy it. It’s not frugality that brings all those things. you can spend money and still have nay of those things. It seems to me this is a list that is trying to justify a lifestyle and there is no need to justify if you are comfortable with a certain lifestyle.

10. Penelope says:

Great list! #9, 10 and 12 are especially true for us. Ever since starting our frugal life (triggered by necessity after spending all our savings moving from Hawaii to California one year after college), my sister and I have begun sewing our own clothes and learned to fix up, improvise and build our own furniture; and decorate our house in unconventional ways.

We have built our own shelves, including a 8′ x 12′ full-wall length and ceiling-high shelf, cabinets, benches (using a salvaged headboard from Goodwill), laid our own flooring, and used the trunk of an old Christmas tree and scrap lumber to make a table and a music stand (I needed a music stand when I started playing the violin last fall and they cost $30+ to buy).

For anyone interested in seeing pictures of our Christmas tree furniture, my sister wrote a blog article on it: Make Something Useful of Your Christmas Tree.

We also have some pictures of clothing we’ve sewn for less than $1.00-$2.00 per outfit, Save Money by Sewing Your Own Clothes.

11. henrik says:

I must say I agree with comment #9, I too don’t buy much of it. Many of these things can still happen even if you tend to spend alot, it depends on what you spend it on….

Also you must remeber that you are saving now in order to have even more money. To you avoid spendig now only so you can spend more money later. Why else save and not give to charity ? (besides from the building of a emergency fund).

1. It simplifies your record keeping

Even if I spend more the budget is just the same, the numbers are just bigger.

And you have to do a lot of work to get the best deals, and not lest to figure out what the best deals are.

2. It simplifies your cleaning

Depends on what you buy. I don’t need to dust off a bunch of CDs because I invested in a MediaCenter

3. It makes you healthier

I could properly become healthier buying a gym membership and trainer, than relying on housework to keep me fit

8. The thrill of the deal.

The STRESS of the deal. rather carefree spending.

9. It equips you to survive

Maybe for minor fixes, but I would certainly rather buy your house knowing its maintenance was taken care of by professionals rather than your amateur learning-by-doing

13. You become more social

Depends on how much you spend on going out, versus sitting at home.don’t expect your friends to allways visit you.

14. It reduces stress

Heck no, finding the right deal can be a lot of work.

And then the stress of watching your investment and worrying about the stock market.

19. It saves all kinds of time

more time finding deals
    more time cooking for yourself
    more time fixing stuff for yourself

25. It beats therapy.

If you are sick and depressed, stop spending money is doubt some answer to the problem.

If you are really sick go see a doctor.

29. It teaches the art of compromise

So does not knowing the value of enough, even with spending all my money I still have to compromise between a motorcycle or a new car.

only the number of zeros on the check differs.

31. It improves your sex life

If you spend it on sextoys you can have a great sexlife, or if you spend it on romantic getaways.

As you can see many of the items are equally valid for people spending a good amount of their money.

I am not talking about overspending and getting debts here, just spending well within your means.

12. Miguel says:

I have been frugal out of need but it’s becoming a lifestyle for me which makes sense for “real” common sense reasons. Reading your article makes me feel that I want to be frugal, I don’t need to be frugal.

13. Shanti @ Antishay says:

This is a great post! I have had it in my “to read” bookmarks folder for what feels like a long time and I’m glad I finally got to it :D You’ve made some excellent points here and I agree with all of them :D Thank you!

14. Shanti @ Antishay says:

Did I mention I’m sick? It seems I added this post to my folder only this MORNING… durrrrr. *feels silly*

Well, if it’s any excuse, I’ve had a fever and have had absolutely no sense of time for three days now. Anyway, excuse my random wrongness in the last comment. :/

15. alex says:

Jennifer’s right; frugality arose from the need to save money but has now become a very liberating lifestyle, with lots more money! Jennifer’s point is that you don’t need to spend money to have all the benefits she discusses; however, if you’ve got the money to buy them, go for it. As for Henrik’comment about #9, obviously he hasn’t been burned by “professionals” repairing and maintaining his house!

16. Dolores says:

For ALL of us, no matter your opinion of frugality…

“If you’re not happy with what you have, you’ll never be happy with more.”

Frugality teaches us to be happy with what we have.

17. Pingback: Festival of Frugality #120 | A Penny Saved

18. Pingback: Frugal Babe » Archive » Festival of Frugality #120

19. Pingback: Monroe on a Budget » Reasons to be frugal (other than saving money)

20. Pingback: Tight Fisted Miser » Blog Archive » Carnival and Festival Picks

21. Pingback: Frugality: It's much more than saving money - Smart Spending

22. Rachelle says:

Thank you for this article.

23. pascale hughes says:

I really enjoyed this list.It makes you aware of other insides or views.Everyone has the freedom to take the frugal concept to the level they are comfortable with.As an European married to an American for 17 years and having lived in 5 different countries, I learned early that 2 main reasons will force you into bankrupty; overextended credit and healthcare.
    So it won’t hurt at all to ‘take’ care of issues you can control.I still have to learn and apply a lot but it is a work in progress. Thank you!!!!

24. Empress Juju says:

Money in and of itself is at the bottom of my list for why I am frugal. Certainly, I enjoy being self-supporting, and my heart no longer pounds when I open the mailbox, but it feels great to have dropped 20 pounds as a “default vegetarian,” and to know that I’m helping America reduce our deendency on foreign oil every time I refill my water bottle or take my own cloth bags to the grocery.

Thank you for pointing out the many benefits to frugality!

25. Sheri Griffith says:

Thank you for a wonderful article, very moving and inspiring. Best to you.

26. Christine says:

After reading many of your articles, I have begun frugal at the age of 59. Oh my god, if I only did this years’ ago. In the last 2 weeks I have saved over $250.00 at grocery stores and drugstores. I use coupons, ask for coupons and get all I can on-line. I can’t believe the savings. If I had done this before the amount of money I was saving instead of wasting would have been enormous. Again, I will continue reading about frugal living and trying to do more. Thank you very much.

27. Pingback: Listed in Carnival of Personal Finance and Festival of Frugality

28. Awesome advice!! Thanks for sharing. Practical, easy, and just plain good . . . I’m glad to see someone else spreading the word about the benefits of frugality!

29. Andy says:

Great tips here. There are also a number of cost effective ways to stay healthy by incorporating some excercise into our daily routines.

30. Uncle B says:

Being frugal is good for the environment!

31. Pingback: Frugality Now | Not cheap, Fiscally concerned

32. zak says:

“In other words, they realize that they are taking more than their share of resources and that doing so depletes the availability of resources for others. ”

oh my, this is a very blantant zero sum error, the idea that one has to lose for another to win. Goods are produced, therefore making the pie bigger. If a resource is scarce, the price system automatically pushes the price up leading people to use less of it.

33. Carla says:

Excellant points! I come from a very self- sufficient family, married a very handy man and do most of my shopping at second hand stores. We have a lovely home, usually have enough to share and never go without. Just saying frugal does not mean poor. I love reading about other peoples experiences in frugality :) Thanks!