Care Packages: Thanks that Costs Less

care package for soldiers

I got a letter today from a soldier in Bagdad. She’s bored. She ranted about the perpetuality of her job, and the things she “always” does, and my first instinct is to send her another package. She suggested we send her microwavable add-hot-water foods, and movies. If it wasn’t for the cost of shipping the last package, I’d jump on it instantly. I’m definitely feeling the financial pressure of having a loved one in Iraq, and she wasn’t even a breadwinner for my family.

I send packages with snacks, packages with games, packages with CDs and skin care items. I send letters and drawings from the kids. And I could spend a fortune doing this. I feel I

This entry was posted in Relationships, Shopping and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Care Packages: Thanks that Costs Less

1. Cortni Marrazzo says:

Next time you write her a letter, you can tell her that despite the many people in this country that don’t care, there are many more who are very thankful to her for her service and sacrifice for our country and we pray for her and her fellow soldiers every day. :)

2. Homebody says:

I always use the priority mail flat package rate. They can hold 6-8 bags of chocolate candy (which I only ship in the winter). I keep the boxes and forms here at home so I have them filled and ready for the post office. I get a lot of joy out of sending packages. I watch the ads for things to send and used my Costco coupons to buy candy, jerky, etc when they are something that would be good to send. I also (gasp) bought a carton of cigarettes to send in the last box I sent. I get names/addresses off anysoldier.com, but right now my BF’s son and stepson are both there, so I send to them now.

The flatter type box is perfect for filling with magazines.

3. baselle says:

Media: My local library system (Seattle Public Library) has a clearance sale every 6 months or so. In addition to books, they sell CDs and DVDs. ($1 to $3 range) They sell as-is, so you probably want to play them first to see if they skip or are weird.

4. Lori says:

Please see if she is able to sign up at http://www.anysoldier.com. this is a great website that connects citizens with soldiers that need letters and care packages. She, or someone with her, will have to accept responsibility of taking care of the packages for the group.

5. Another Soldier says:

A cost nothing approach to fill boxes or for packaging: Old newspapers. Most people will give you their old ones no problem, especially if you tell them what they are being used for. If not, I know my Dad recycles at these a month’s worth of papers at a time so if you’re not too proud, recycyling bins make sense. I believe it is from Magazines.com (Google for assurance) that you can go on there and request one new free year’s subscription per person that signs up and have the choice of many magazines. If each person in her squad or platoon do this, they should have plenty to trade around and keep occupied.

That is just a little 2 cents from another deployed soldier.

6. Devildogwife says:

I’m sure that you already know about the bigger flat rate box. Military (apo/fpo addresses) receive a lower rate of $10.95. They are probably twice the size of the older flat rate box and only cost $2.00 more to ship.

I use protein bars and other health bars for my “filler” in packages as that is what my hubby likes. I tend to buy things in bulk as it’s a bit cheaper. Don’t discount places like Amazon for getting groceries/snacks for the care packages.

I also send away for lots and lots of samples. I send those his way. If he can’t use them, he’ll pass them along to someone who can.

Oh, and don’t forget about things like individual packages of drink mixes.

7. patt says:

I was surprized when my son told me that over half of the service people NEVER recieved a letter or a package from home while serving in Iraq. He said that many service people were from disfunctional homes and they join the service seeking some place to belong. SEND PACKAGES!!!

COOKIE KITS. No matter how carefully I wrapped them or when I sent them the icing melted into the cookies. I started sending cookie kits. Enclude homemade sugar cookies, tubs of store bought icing, sprinkles in shapes like hearts, pumkins or shamrocks and of course plastic knives. It brought back memories of making cookies with mom, made memories of a fun time with their buddies in the middle of hell and of course the cookies.

I write cute of funny sayings on the outside of the packages and tape copies of “Humor in Uniform” from the Readers Digest.

8. Jessica says:

I like to go to the dollar store for most of my care package stuff. Every holiday they rotate their stock and I like to send my friends boxes filled with things for that holiday so they get to celebrate it too. On Easter I sent plastic eggs with stickers to decorate and bags of candy so they could full them up and pass them out. On Valentines Day I sent valentines cards to fill out and pass out to friends. They always have a great variety of candy that won’t melt, and they have little puzzle games and books that you can send. If they don’t use it odds are they’ll just give it to someone else that will.

9. Becky Bevins says:

I have a brother inlaw in Iraq and at night they sit around citronella candles to keep from getting bit from the bugs over there.We came up with an idea and now it is going great.We send these out in care packages.Its called skeetereez it keeps the bugs off from them.We only send the desert camo though.

10. Stephanie says:

I appreciate all your ideas. My dh is leaving in Oct. this is his first tour overseas. He has been stateside in supporting the war her in the US. I know there are a lot of changes coming up and with our three young children I want to keep them involved in the packages. Thank you for your ideas.

11. Jen says:

My husband is staying behind this tour but our two best friends are leaving next week for Iraq. One of them really doesn’t have much family support, so I am planning on sending him lots of packages and am looking for ideas. These are some great ones, thanks!

12. Lori says:

Jen,
    Again, check http://www.anysoldier.com. They have tons of ideas on what to send and how to send it. The forums are great too. They can answer your questions. And please tell your friends to consider becoming recipients and signing up for the site.

13. Kaitlin says:

Anyone who finds shipping to be a bit pricey should try the USPS APO/FPO flat rate boxes. It costs only 11.95 to ship it to any APO/FPO address, regardless of weight. I’ve sent my boyfriend tons of packages and while the boxes seem small, it’s amazing what you can all fit in there. They’re free to pick up at any post office or even on the usps website they’ll ship them to you for free!

14. Tina says:

I am opening a new visitors information center and I would like to see if maybe anyone out there can tell me how I can obtain free welcome packages with things like coupons and trial sized shampoos and such as that. Thank you for your help

15. Paula says:

The us postal service offers a free of charge care kit pack…you can find more information and order it online at usps.com under shipping supplies and request the care kit # 4 or you can call (800) 610-8734. In this care kit they include everything you will need to ship to anyone serving overseas or to a base. They were specially created for the military and although you still have to pay the shipping it helps to keep the cost of shipping down a little.

16. Sue says:

I really appreciate you posting your ideas! Very helpful… I love sending my husband stuff while he is overseas but I have never been that good at it or at least I don’t think I am that good! It is nice to read that someone seems to be soooo in love with their significant other like this!! Makes me happy!! Thanks again for this!!

17. Luann says:

You can order free packaging supplies from the Post Office by calling: (800)610-8734. Ask for Care Kit 4. They will assign you a customer number to make it easier to order the next time.
    God Bless our Troops