Gas and 9/10 Cent: What Difference Does It Make?

9/10 cent

My husband and I often remember prices differently: I think it was $5; he thinks it was $4. Turns out it was $4.99. The difference is how we view the cost — I automatically round up in my mind: $0.89 becomes $0.90, $1.46 becomes $1.50, $1288 becomes $1300. He tends to block out anything after a decimal point. Apparently, most people are like he is. Psychologically, they see $9.99 as “under $10,” even if tax puts the total cost over $10.

That’s why gas stations tack 9/10 cent onto the price of every gallon sold here in the U.S. Chances are, you are so used to seeing this fraction at the end of the ever-rising gas prices that you hardly notice it anymore. But th

This entry was posted in X Files and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Gas and 9/10 Cent: What Difference Does It Make?

1. Miranda says:

An interesting post. This is an issue for a lot of people. It may not tack on a lot, but some folks really think about it as the cost of gas goes up and cuts into family budgets.

2. Stan Jacobs says:

In the late 1040′s, their was a gas war. they were selling gas at 15.3 cents a gallon (not sure what the price of gas was)when some stores were selling gas at 16.00 cents/gallon. others sold it at 15.99 ents per gallon. when you are traveling at 40 miles/hour, you see a sign for 15 cents, you stop to get the gas. lets face it, one penny saved per gallon and if you get 15 gallons. thats one gallon of gas free.

3. wayne says:

I was just reading the wisegeek site, and the figures you quote are off by a magnitude of ten. It’s actually 140+ million, not 1.4 billion, and the 170 million +- figure they showed was only after a theoretical carrying of the practice to the hundredth of a cent instead of just a tenth.

4. D. Sitarz says:

When the 9/10th per gallon first began, it made a difference as gasoline as penny’s per gallon. Today… every dealer does it, and it is a minute fraction of the cost per gallon. If you see $3.29-9/10th and the dealer across the street is selling for $3.30-9/10th… there is a penny difference. Just ignore the 9/10th because it does not make a difference… it’s the cent figure that is important. And if every seller does it (which they do), the oil companies are not stealing pennies… it’s the way it is, period.

5. K. Yayese says:

Uh… yeah. The 9/10ths is a remnant of a tax for the construction of the Alaskan pipeline. It’s just too small a fry for anyone to take the time to repeal.

6. Xander Crews says:

Or, they could just not tack on the fractions of a cent and price their overpriced product like everyone else prices theirs.

Let’s say you go to a gas station and the gas is $4.14 9/10 per gallon. You buy 1 gallon of gas, and pay $4.15 in cash. Try asking for your 1/10th of a cent in change. It should be yours, but no…they “round up”.

“Rounding Up”…? How is that legal? Who else does that? If something I buy is $3.88 after tax, I am not charged $4.00. I’m charged $3.88.

Oil companies or gas stations or whoever tacks those fractions of a cent on need to start charging the consumers exactly what they are advertising the price as being…and better yet, eliminate the stupid tenths of a cent. We don’t carry around coins worth 1/10th of a cent, so how can they be allowed to price something like that?

Rounding up costs consumers billions in overcharges every year.

7. Ron says:

Many years ago, gas stations had the price of gas on their signs then the gas tax sign right under it.
    It was the gas tax sign that had the 9/10 on it.
    I worked at a station back then, too for a short time.
    Even then, I questioned that.

8. cLcJ13 says:

Even if the 1/10th cent was left over from the tax law, it is still being stolen from consumers for every gallon of gas purchased in the U.S. I know it is a very small amount per person, but you have to admit if you or I stole 1/10 cent from millions of people we would be labeled criminals and end up in jail.

9. Ricky says:

I think that extra money should go to the government part of debt reduction. If its 5 billion a year or 4 billion or what ever the amount it could be put to a better use. How much extra is paid per customer per a lifetime. I started driving at 16 so I have been driving 44 years how much has been taken from me. How much has been taken from all drivers? It is more than 4.50. We are being ripped off daily.